Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

How many shots does a barrel burn out

Remind me of the commercial "Mr Owls, how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roLl center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Mr Owl only counted to 3 before he got to the Tootsie pop!! That mean we hunters are screwed then!!!

• Like 1

When a barrel is shot out, how messed up is your group? Doesn't the bullet start tumbling and rip sideways hole in the paper?

It is a gradual process of wear every time you fire the gun. At some point accuracy will begin to deteriorate due to throat erosion and rifling wear. Group sizes will begin to expand. The more you continue to shoot the more accuracy deteriorates. Your accuracy expectations dictate when the barrel is shot out. A benchrest shooter would scrap a barrel most hunters would think is still OK. If you have bullets tumbling through the target sideways your barrel is long overdue to be replaced or your barrel's twist rate is unable to stabilize the bullets you are using.

When a barrel is shot out, how messed up is your group? Doesn't the bullet start tumbling and rip sideways hole in the paper?

A friend and I used to shoot a lot of HP Silhouette and then he transferred out of state. One year he sent me his rifle so he would have to fly with it. I was at the range waiting for him to show and decided to clean it for him. It was dirty but in a short time the patches went from black to very light gray. As I was sitting there a huge dust devil dropped in before I could throw a towel over his rig.

It left as quick as it showed up but the dust was on everything so I lubed up another patch and ran it down the tube. To my surprise it came out dark. I ran a few more down before it cleaned up and then decided to look down the barrel and saw a dark bore with little rifling in the first six or so inches.

That rifle still shot very well though despite it. The rifle was a #1 in 25-06.