Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

Bullet question

I have a rifle cow tag this year...its my first time hunting elk with a rifle...I'll be using my 7mmWSM and my question is this...will a 139gr Hornady Interbond be an appropriate bullet or should I go heavier (160gr)...I know shot placement is the key...just curious what others thought..

I suspect they will be just fine on a cow elk. Is the 139 IB what you are loaded and sighted in for now?

A good friend has used regular 130 coreloks from his 270 on many elk.

Doug~RR

Come see me today at SW and we can see what factory loadings there are in 7WSM. I would go 160, cause if you get a cow close with that screamin 139, it may not perform right.

I think you would be just fine with the 139. As long as your not shooting an explosive bullet like the ballistic tip. My wife shoots 130 core lokts out of her 270 for cow elk, and they do just fine.

Doug,

The 139gr Interbond is what I'm sighted with right now and the bullet I'll be using on my coues hunt. That is why I was asking. I was hoping I will only have to play the bullet/load/sight in game once. My dad and I reload our ammo, but my folks got displaced by a house fire and the press, etc. was part of that so reloading right now is kind of out of the question (plus I have close to 60 rounds loaded right now).

From what I know the IB is like the Nosler Accubond.

Thanks for the replies.

Dodger2, you are right the Hornady Interbond is a bonded bullet very similar to a Nosler Accubond. Simply put that means that the lead core and the copper jacket are not going to seperate upon impact. Then the bullet will retain it's weight which means it will retain it's kenetic energy and travel deeper into the animal and do more damage. Rest assured that you are shooting a premium bullet that will more than handle the task of a cow elk. Shot placement is and always will be important, but even if you put that bullet through its shoulder you should have a very dead elk.

Good luck!

139 will work perfectly...i know someone who killed a big bull at 400 plus yards with a 100 grain bullet out of a 270 wsm....it got mixed up with the 130's somehow.....its all about shot placement ;)

The 7mmWSM approximates the 7mm Remington Magnum which was designed by some elk oufitters and gun nuts to kill elk. They found the 160 grain bullets worked best. You may want to go with that.

Mark

Went out today and tried some of the 160gr Barnes TSX...had to get the scope dialed in first...these were at 50yds...shoulder got a little sore...the shots with the "X" were getting it zeroed, then #1 was close couple of clicks and then #2,3,4...this is the best group I've gotten out of this gun yet...all from 50yds

post-499-1191884329_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I've heard good things about the Barnes TSX, but I've not tried them yet. I've got a few loaded and ready to go, but haven't been able to find the time to get to the range. I never had much luck getting good groups with the old Barnes bullets I tried, so I'm crossing my fingers that my rifle will like these a little better. I've got a very accurate load using Sierra Game Kings, but I'd like to find something just as accurate with a heavier constructed bullet.

Dodger, how in the world did you ever come up with the idea to shoot those 160 TSX ;) :D

A friendly clerk at SW suggested something similar...hopefully they'll get some more in soon....

Would he happen to be about 6'2 good looking fella in his early 20's? Ive dealt with him before, hear hes a real good guy who knows what hes talkin about! :lol: