Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Shooter's tip sheet

I always thought it would be nice to have a 1 page tip sheet for the shooter induced factors of reduced accuracy. Something that could be given to a rookie at the range or used by a experienced shooter who neglected his rifle over something like an archery elk tag and is finally back at the range. In my case this year I became a dedicated spotter back in August, my partner drew a sheep tag. Before christmas I caught bronchitis, recovered and then caught whooping cough. My wife now has pneumonia and I am struggling to not catch it as well. Still no trigger time, I am going to need this thing for myself.

I could use a few proof readers. As I typed this up myself it has the potential to contain errors. The purpose is to cover shooter induced items only, no gun, ammunition, wind or incline issues.

BREATHING Fire from the normal relaxed exhale position of your breathing cycle. Do not hold your breath or forcibly exhale.

TRIGGER CONTROLL Horizontal stringing is a sign of sloppy trigger control.

Letting the trigger finger jump off the trigger when the sear releases will cause horizontal stringing. Your finger must keep the trigger fully depressed until the rifle stops moving from recoil.

Place the tip of the index finger on the lower part of the trigger for the best leverage against the sear and springs. The force of the trigger finger is transferred to the rifle when the sear is released and the trigger comes to a stop. If that force is not in line with the bore it will push or pull the rifle to one side. A good way to see this is to dry fire and watch if the scope's reticle moves when the firing pin drops.

For a left handed shooter if the trigger finger is not far enough on to the trigger it pulls the rifle to the right. If the trigger finger is too far in it pulls the rifle to the left.

For a right handed shooter if the trigger finger is not far enough onto the trigger it pulls the rifle to the left. If the trigger finger is too far in it pulls the rifle to the right.

STOCK If the butt plate is placed against the shoulder too low the shots usually go high. If it is placed against the shoulder too high shots tend to go low.

How much pressure the shooter applies to on the rifle's cheek piece with their head has this effect. To hard and shots go low, to soft and shots go high.

If the rifle jumps to the side when you fire, to the right for left hand shooters and to the left for right hand shooters, you are putting sideways pressure on the stock. This will throw shots off.

If you are not lined up directly behind the rifle, a straight line from the muzzle, down through the knee and leg on the rifle side, the shoulder will flex under recoil, causing the recoil to create lateral movement that will cause horizontal impact shift.

If you place your whole hand on the rifle stock the unintentional movement in your hand or thumb when you pull the trigger can cause horizontal stringing.

If you squeeze the stock or pull the rifle back into your shoulder to hard it can cause horizontal stringing.

2 Possible techniques

Loose hold. Try closing your fingers - like a loose fist - instead of wrapping them around the rifle, or lightly touch it, except for the trigger finger.
Firm hold. Use a wrap-around grip on the stock and pull the rifle back into the shoulder with 5 to 7 pounds of pressure. Shift your body weigh forward to load the bipod legs.

BIPOD If you preload your bipod and don’t load both legs evenly you can string horizontally. If you do not preload the same amount of pressure for each shot it will change the point of impact. It is essential that the bipod be adjusted properly for elevation and cant.

• Like 3

Always room to learn! I just finally got a good habit to adjust my body strait behind the gun, breath out and look down and see how far off target and then readjust.. That helps keeps the recoil strait back and im on back on target after the shot. I've come to find out that long range shooting is alot like golf. Technique, body movement, form, and breathing! The difference between golf and long range shooting is that long range shooting is for Men!! :)

• Like 5