Sign in to follow this  
Wrk2Hnt

Old deer tags

Not sure where to post this. Just curious what the old metal g&f tags said and how to read them. I just aquired a couple of old mule deer mounts from a random guy driving past my house that thought I'd appreciate his grandpa's mounts rather than selling them since my garage was up and he saw hunting stuff. Not sure if the deer are from AZ or not. Tags say AG&F.....there is a number before that and I was wondering if that was the date.

• Like 1

I bought a lot of those metal tags over the years before Arizona went to sticky-back paper tags. They made a big bump in my wallet back then.

I've got some on a couple of mounts at the cabin, but none down here to tell how the numbers are positioned. They should tell you the year the tag was valid and the tag number.

Don't remember if they will tell you the species, but I do know AG&F was the acronym for the Arizona Game and Fish Department before two-letter postal abbreviations came into being.

Bill Quimby

Thank you Mr Quimby. If I'm reading them right it is 1968 DEER AG&F, and 1955 DEER AG&F. After that it's a long number that i assume is like a permit number. I'll have to try and get a couple pictures up. If they are truly that old they are in pretty good shape. Even have the ears folded too far forward like all the old school mounts.

My first deer was mounted and is at our cabin. It still has the metal tag I put on it in 1948.

The mount itself is in awful shape. The taxidermist didn't put forms in its ears, and they now are shriveled and wrinkled. The eyes bulge out, the nose is cracked, and the cape has shrunk, leaving a two-inch wide gap down the back of its head and neck.

Sorry to say, I have not fared much better after nearly seventy decades.

Bill Quimby

• Like 6

My first deer was mounted and is at our cabin. It still has the metal tag I put on it in 1948.

The mount itself is in awful shape. The taxidermist didn't put forms in its ears, and they now are shriveled and wrinkled. The eyes bulge out, the nose is cracked, and the cape has shrunk, leaving a two-inch wide gap down the back of its head and neck.

Sorry to say, I have not fared much better after nearly seventy decades.

Bill Quimby

70 decades? WOW! That is almost Biblical.

• Like 3

70 decades has got to be a misprint!!!!!!

The metal tags had a piece of heavy paper that the metal went through that stated the name and address of the person,tag number etc.It didn't state the unit as back then most of the state was open.Kaibab had a seperate tag,and this was on the paper.They went to the tag,they have now in 1973,after my dad retired in 72.

"70 decades has got to be a misprint!!!!!!"

Yes it was, but I must say it sure seems like I shot that buck 700 years ago.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Just playing with you Bill

The metal tags had a piece of heavy paper that the metal went through that stated the name and address of the person,tag number etc.It didn't state the unit as back then most of the state was open.Kaibab had a seperate tag,and this was on the paper.They went to the tag,they have now in 1973,after my dad retired in 72.

My first deer tag was metal. Way to make a guy feel old, Cliff.
  • Like 2