Edge

1st time fly fishing

First time fly fishing was on a backpacking trip in the San Juan Mountains near Cortez in late September. Guy at the local shop had a close-out deal on a 7'6" 2 piece Orvis combo. I didn't catch anything, but it stuck with me. First trout on a fly rod was on the San Juan in February 2006. Was going to take the family over there this spring break now that they are finally all into fly fishing, but we couldn't get it worked out. We're talking about a trip in early June. I've never had a problem with mosquitoes over there in June. I miss that place!

• Like 3

Summer of '87 fishing for browns on 9 Mile creek in upstate NY. It started a lifelong obsession and I don't regret a minute of it. So far, smallies out of the black river on a 5 wt are my favorite though. They will sky like a rainbow and make you think twice about going in with a 5wt.

• Like 2

Summer of '87 fishing for browns on 9 Mile creek in upstate NY. It started a lifelong obsession and I don't regret a minute of it. So far, smallies out of the black river on a 5 wt are my favorite though. They will sky like a rainbow and make you think twice about going in with a 5wt.

water? why??

Water: Black River on the San Carlos Reservation at exactly mile marker£¥ on highway $&@. Make sure you go right at the *+=%^. 13 miles in and you are there. Don't forget to pick your day use passes up before you head in.

Why: Smallies are the most voracious predators in AZ waters. They are the 800 lb gorilla in that stream and I watched a 30 flathead chase bluegills out from underneath an overhang every 5 minutes during my lunch/rehydrate break. Hit them on a good trip with spinning gear and and you will change your reel seat to the next finger groove down on day two. It is amazing. You wake up in your hammock feeling like you were bowling with cheerleaders. Average of 12 inch fish makes 5wt feel inadequate.

• Like 3

First time fly fishing was on a backpacking trip in the San Juan Mountains near Cortez in late September. Guy at the local shop had a close-out deal on a 7'6" 2 piece Orvis combo. I didn't catch anything, but it stuck with me. First trout on a fly rod was on the San Juan in February 2006. Was going to take the family over there this spring break now that they are finally all into fly fishing, but we couldn't get it worked out. We're talking about a trip in early June. I've never had a problem with mosquitoes over there in June. I miss that place!

just 15-20 miles northeast of my ol place.

My first time fly fishing was on the Skookumchuck River in Western WA. There was no vehicle access, had to mountain bike up the Weyerhauser roads. Found some beautiful rainbows in holes along the creek. Got my first two Columbian blacktails in there as well.

Went fishing and hunting between 1994 and 2001 in there and never once encountered another person.

• Like 1