Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Residency question

Quick question regarding residency because I'm bored. If I live in AZ and put in for tags with my az license and during the app process I move out of state do I owe more money? Do I need to pay for a nr license and tag at that point? At what point do you have to start buying nr licenses etc.? If I receive my tag while still a res and move away before the hunt what happens?

you have to pay nr fees when you have lived out of state for 6 months or more and you don't become an Arizona resident until you have lived in Arizona for 6 months

If your read the regs (A.R.S. 17-101.A.17( B), pg 108 of the 2016 main regs), it states that residency must be at the time of application. Residency is established in AZ after domiciled in this states for the 6 months previous to application of any tag/license, and residency status is surrendered as soon as you claim residency status for any purpose in any other state (i.e. within the 30 day window that most state DMV's give you to transfer you drivers license). Living out of the state for 6 months does not quantify loosing your residency status as a AZ resident. I've known multiple people that have gone on 6+ month vacations traveling the country/world, but since they never claimed residency anywhere else, they maintained their status as a resident of AZ the entire time.

• Like 1

I also like the fact that the AZ Departments of Transportation, Revenue, Education and Game and Fish all have different requirements for residency.

If your read the regs (A.R.S. 17-101.A.17( B), pg 108 of the 2016 main regs), it states that residency must be at the time of application. Residency is established in AZ after domiciled in this states for the 6 months previous to application of any tag/license, and residency status is surrendered as soon as you claim residency status for any purpose in any other state (i.e. within the 30 day window that most state DMV's give you to transfer you drivers license). Living out of the state for 6 months does not quantify loosing your residency status as a AZ resident. I've known multiple people that have gone on 6+ month vacations traveling the country/world, but since they never claimed residency anywhere else, they maintained their status as a resident of AZ the entire time.

So whatever your residency is at the time you apply is what they go off of? What if you DO claim residency somewhere else a day after you applied for a tag?

I think that I would call Game and Fish rather than go on a forum to ask a question that might get you a ticket.

BC777- You are correct. Please read the statute I listed. It clearly states what the requirements are to apply for a license as a resident. If you do not meet those requirements at the time of application, you are a non-resident. This is why you can buy a lifetime resident hunting license and then move out of state, but have to pay non-resident fees until you re-establish AZ residency requirements under title 17 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.

DCS- While I would agree for most parts about confirming with a government body on what is or what is not allowed versus what someone says on a forum, even the person who answers the phone can be wrong, as they are still human. It is for this exact reason that anytime I answer a question with legalities involved, I reference the appropriate legal code so that the OP may read what the actual law states, not what myself or some desk jockey on a phone might say.

I've been unable to locate anything within Title 17 that pertains to residency that is not associated with the application of a license, permit, tag or stamp. Not saying there is something I am missing, but I am human and there may be.

• Like 1