billrquimby

California bans lead bullets

NOTE THAT THE ACT REQUIRES TOTALLY NON-LEAD AMMO, WHICH THIS STORY SAYS DOES NOT EXIST. BQ

Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Bills to Allow Microstamping and to Ban Lead Ammunition

In a move opposed by SCI, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law on Saturday banning lead centerfire ammunition in the range of the endangered California condor. 

The law, called the Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act (introduced by Pedro Nava, D-Santa Barbara), usurps some of the authority of the State Fish and Game Commission to regulate hunting in the State.

The purported purpose of the Act is to protect endangered condors from lead ingestion. The Act mandates non-lead ammunition for big-game and coyote hunting in condor range.

The Act defines condor range in an overbroad fashion using deer zones and highways in an area of south and central California. 

The California Fish and Game Commission recently proposed a similar ban, but a more carefully crafted ban.

For example, under the Commission's proposal, the "range" in which the ban would apply more accurately reflected where the bird currently exists, an exception was made for gun types for which non-lead ammunition does not currently exist, and recognition was made that copper ammunition contains trace elements of lead. 

The Act, on the other hand, requires completely lead-free ammunition, which CURRENTLY DOES NOT EXIST, according to testimony given to the Commission. 

The Act authorizes a program to provide free or discounted ammunition, but does not guarantee funding. Violations of the Act can result in fines of up to $5,000. 

The Act requires that the ban go into effect on July 1, 2008.  

Gov. Schwarzenegger also signed an unprecedented measure Saturday “requiring that certain pistols sold in the state be equipped to mark each cartridge when fired so police can more easily trace the weapons.

The bill requiring that semiautomatic pistols be equipped with microstamping devices by 2010 is the first in the nation.” (Source: L.A. Times / Outdoor Wire)

and recognition was made that copper ammunition contains trace elements of lead.

The Act, on the other hand, requires completely lead-free ammunition, which CURRENTLY DOES NOT EXIST, according to testimony given to the Commission.

From http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/a...ed_sen_v97.html

3004.5. (a) Nonlead centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition, as

determined by the commission, shall be required when taking big game

with rifle or pistol , as defined by Section 350 of the

department's mammal hunting regulations, and when taking coyote,

within the department's deer hunting zone A South, but

excluding Santa Cruz, Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, and San

Joaquin Counties, areas west of Highway 101 within Santa Clara

County, and areas between Highway 5 and Highway 99 within Stanislaus,

Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and Kern Counties,

and within Tulare, and Kern Counties, and within deer

hunting zones D7, D8, D9, D10, D11, and D13.

(B) By January July 1, 2008, the

commission shall establish, by regulation, a public process to

certify centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition as nonlead ammunition,

and shall define, by regulation, nonlead ammunition as including

only centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition in which there is no lead

content.

What trace amounts of lead occur in the Barnes bullets (ie TSX) and Nosler e-tips that would preclude them from being defined as lead-free?

Talk is of extending the no-lead to all of Kalifonia and include other ammo like shotshells.

I would bet that the Southwest Center :ph34r: will be pressuring the AZ legislation harder and soon for northern AZ protection.

Has there ever been proof that lead bullets have had a negative impact on the condor or is this just preplanning?

hate to say i told ya so, but get ready, we're next. and to think there were folks on this site just last week that were all for this..........Lark.

I am confused. Can you continue to shoot California Condors with lead bullets or are they considered big game in that retarded state?

Lee

"I would bet that the Southwest Center will be pressuring the AZ legislation harder and soon for northern AZ protection "

I may be mistaken, but I think I heard that there were plans to introduce condors into the mountains on the New Mexico border near Rodeo. If so, we will probably also see lead bans in several units in southeastern Arizona, too.

Bill Quimby

One way for granola nutjobs in the land of fruits and nuts to stop legal hunting. If there are no lead bullets available, what else can we use.

I will have to start using the rounds made from Depleted Uranium like the A-10 Warthog uses. :rolleyes:

the endangered species act ain't about endangered species recovering. as soon as one does, they want new rules to keep em endangered. it's about getting anyone off the land that huggers don't want. after they outlaw hunting anywhere the condors might want to perch, and they will do it if folks sit by and watch, then they'll outlaw cattle bacause they have too much cholesterol and the buzzards are gettin' clogged arteries. then they'll outlaw anything off of the pavement for some other reason. it's all BS guys. look at the entire edangered species program. nothing is true. this california law even outlaws copper bullets because they have traces of lead. heck, probably any metal has traces of lead. they just stopped hunting with a firearm anywhere these buzzards show up. and Az. is next. and the azgfd is complicit, because they actually lobbied to get em here. this ain't a good deal and folks best wake up to it. next will be arrows. when this was hashed out in the political section i couldn't believe how many people were all for it. "Oh, ok, we'll just use barne's bullets. what's the big deal?". it's a shame when any animal dissappears or gets to the point that they might. but once it happens, there ain't much anybody can do about it. look at what these guys do. they've been trying to close off vast areas of southeast Az. for years over some desert snail that only lives on a few acres. it's the only place it's found. but they think it might expand it's territory if they close off more country. no one knows if they were ever found anywhere else or not. they want to bring alaska gizzlies and turn em loose on the blue. now there's some good news. spotted owls, gosshawks, shrews that never were here, fish that never lived in the waters they are protecting for them. makes me sick. now bill says they want to turn these buzzards loose by rodeo? it's a ploy. just a tool to pry folks off of the land. last thing they want is for condors or any other endangered species to actually thrive, because then they lose control. don't drink the koolaid. Lark.

Funny thing is (or not so funny) is that 99.99% of these same people believe in evolution / survival of the fittest as the way nature intended it.

So, adapt or die, isn't that the way of the wild?

BTW, what would they do if a Grizz on the Blue ate a Mexican Wolf/dog?

Link to the last discussion: http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...?showtopic=7002

I think there were less reactionary posts in that thread because the context of the discussion was still assuming that California and Arizona G&F would be using their published methods (i.e. burying gut piles, allowing copper ammunition that I assume has trace amounts of lead) instead of the Governator's new laws.

T

this stuff scares the crap outta me. if you think arnold is liberal, look at this guy we have for a gov. again, don't drink the koolaid. Lark.

I hear them Californicators are now going to go after what you can WEAR and EAT in SUBURBAN areas!!! Or, if you Spend Any Time in suburban areas!!!!! OR, if you PLAN to spend ANY TIME in California's suburban areas in the FUTURE!!!!! :o

They want "NONTOXIC PEOPLE ONLY" in posible Mountain Lion country!!!! <_< :unsure:

Lance