azhuntnut

Looking for a good trail

I bought a Ranger this past weekend and wanted to take the family out for a ride Saturday that has a destination at the end, or a good place to hang out and eat lunch. Can anybody recommend a place that is fairly close to north Phx area. I don't want to do the Crown King trail due to the high traffic this time of year. If anybody wants to come along with there rig, you are welcome to join us. David

Congrats on the Ranger! Did you sell the Sammi? I've been out a few times and can't believe the amount of ATV'ers runnin' around! The areas close to Phx are covered with people and usually a bunch of careless idiots this time of year! I would reccomend staying away from anything that has a destination at the end and just go ride around some backroads/trails somwhere. You ought to go out west of my place in those mountains. Lots of trails going forever out there, just make sure to have your GPS or before you know it, you'll end up in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" ( California )! Good luck, JIM>

What is the road up 4 Peaks like?

that is a pretty good trail...It gets good once you get up towards the top and head back towards roosevelt...pretty cool that they are pines up top...it does have a lot fo traffic on it though

I would reccomend going on the Montana Mtn trail in the Superstition Wilderness...it is a very scenic trip...

Montana is bad this time of year as well. Lots and lots of atvs and jeeps. I hate beeing on those switch backs and passing another truck. The last few times we have been out there we end up seeing a bad wreck on the trail one time we had to pack a guy out in the back of our truck with broken hip shoulder and a few ribs. And he was lucky to be in that shape. I would head up to the rye area and do the trail that takes you back to the end of the deer creek trail head.

Jimmy, I still have the Sami, but have a couple people interested in it already. I just listed it today and had responses within ten minutes. Somebody is going to get a fun rig for sure. Can you tell me how to get to the areas near your house? David

Montana is bad this time of year as well. Lots and lots of atvs and jeeps. I hate beeing on those switch backs and passing another truck. The last few times we have been out there we end up seeing a bad wreck on the trail one time we had to pack a guy out in the back of our truck with broken hip shoulder and a few ribs. And he was lucky to be in that shape. I would head up to the rye area and do the trail that takes you back to the end of the deer creek trail head.

I was out on that road a couple weekends ago & must have seen a minimum of 10 groups (30 or more vehicles) of atv'ers headin' in as I was headin out. And that was before 9 a.m., it only gets worse later in the morning. I won't go back on that road again. There's some other really nice (as in rocky as heck, but scenic) roads out around Superior. If you feel like headin east, shoot me a pm & I'll give you some FR numbers that I like out there. Unfortunately, my Blazer is going elk hunting without me this weekend, so I won't be able to tag along. Loaned it to my boss.

Matt S.

I would love to come out near Superior, but I don't feel like driving much this weekend. I have driven up north to Flag for the last two months. I am a little worn out from driving, plus I am heading up to Camp Verde next weekend to do a little scouting for my deer hunt. David

PM whenever you're ready & we can either plan a trip, or I can point out some roads I like if you want to go it alone.

Matt S.

I bought a Ranger this past weekend and wanted to take the family out for a ride Saturday that has a destination at the end, or a good place to hang out and eat lunch. Can anybody recommend a place that is fairly close to north Phx area. I don't want to do the Crown King trail due to the high traffic this time of year. If anybody wants to come along with there rig, you are welcome to join us. David

THERE IS A NICE TRAIL TO RIDE OVER ON THE EAST SIDE NEAR SUPERIOR. I HAVE HEARD IT REFFERED TO AS THE COKE OVEN TRAIL. IT RUNS DOWN INTO SOME NICE CANYONS ALL THE WAY AROUND TOWARDS FLORENCE, NEAR WERE THEY HAVE COUNTRY THUNDER. IT HAS SOME OLD MINES VERY SENIC. IF YOU CANT MAKE IT THIS TIME YOU DEFINITLY NEED TO KEEP IT IN MIND FOR A LATTER DATE.