I didn't say 125 grain wouldn't kill a mule deer, my comfort zone for that sized animal is a larger bullet.

KP

I meant no harm by it, just misunderstood your intentions. Hard to judge one's demeanor on the internet.

The flattest shooting bullets are the 165 to 180 grainers, especially when you get out to 500 yards or so. Do the math. Most 125 grain bullets except Barnes are designed for varmints and don't kill deer well in the 30-06 but do okay in the 30-30 because they are going slower and don't blow up. They do acceptably with rib hits in the 300 Savage and 308. I know this because I tried them and some 130 grainers.

Mark

ok I am not saying 125 grainers in an 06 are bad but here it goes. use the bullet weight that was designed for the gun a 30-06 was designed for 150-180 grain bullets and works good with 220's as well. you can get an 06 bullets down to a 55 grain I beleive. that doesnt mean they are best for the gun. just my opinion here but use the bullet weight that works best for the gun dont try to scale down the bullet to match the deer you are killing, its not necessary. I am not trying to start another caliber war here if you are using a 30-30 the by all means a 125ish gran bullet is great FOR THAT GUN. same goes with all calibers. if you want to shoot a smaller bullet change weapons. a few years ago I shot a javi at 40 yards with a 180 grain 06. It punched a hole in and had a 2 inch exit wound no meat damaged. same hunt a buddy shot one with his 06 from the same distance and ripped a big butt hole in and out ruined a lot of meat. he was using a 125 grain bullet. my bob cat was shot with a 180 grain at about 20 yards with very very little damage done to the pelt.

GOING TO A 125 GR WOULD NOT BE THE ANSWER FOR REACHING OUT FURTHER. THE 125 GR WILL DRIFT MORE IN THE WIND AND ACTUALLY DROP MORE THAN A 150 GR AT FURTHER DISTANCES GRANTED YOU USE A 150 GR BULLET WITH A HIGH BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT. I WOULD TAKE A LOOK AT 165 GR BULLETS IF YOU WANT REACH OUT FURTHER AND WOULD DEFINITELY NOT USE ANY BALLISTIC TIP 125 GR BULLETS ON DEER. IVE USED THEM AND THEY FRAGMENT WAY TO MUCH. THERE ARE FREE BALLISTIC CALCULATORS ON 6MMBR.COM WEB SITE UNDER ARTICLES. RUN THE BALLISTIC AND YOULL SEE WHAT I MEAN. A 165 GR BULLET WITH A HIGH BC WILL DRIFT HALF THE DISTANCE THAN THE 125 AND DROP LESS PAST DISTANCES AROUND 350. IT WILL ALSO CARRY MUCH MORE ENERGY.

. I am not trying to start another caliber war here if you are using a 30-30 the by all means a 125ish gran bullet is great FOR THAT GUN. same goes with all calibers. done to the pelt.

Not starting anything. I go by what I read and calculate from manuals. Experiences from actual hunters is where you learn the most. Thank you for your insight.

GOING TO A 125 GR WOULD NOT BE THE ANSWER FOR REACHING OUT FURTHER. THE 125 GR WILL DRIFT MORE IN THE WIND AND ACTUALLY DROP MORE THAN A 150 GR AT FURTHER DISTANCES GRANTED YOU USE A 150 GR BULLET WITH A HIGH BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT. I WOULD TAKE A LOOK AT 165 GR BULLETS IF YOU WANT REACH OUT FURTHER AND WOULD DEFINITELY NOT USE ANY BALLISTIC TIP 125 GR BULLETS ON DEER. IVE USED THEM AND THEY FRAGMENT WAY TO MUCH. THERE ARE FREE BALLISTIC CALCULATORS ON 6MMBR.COM WEB SITE UNDER ARTICLES. RUN THE BALLISTIC AND YOULL SEE WHAT I MEAN. A 165 GR BULLET WITH A HIGH BC WILL DRIFT HALF THE DISTANCE THAN THE 125 AND DROP LESS PAST DISTANCES AROUND 350. IT WILL ALSO CARRY MUCH MORE ENERGY.

Thank you to you also, Always nice to get more resources to determine ballistics. We can fine tune accuracy all year, but actually figuring out bullet performance happens with one or two bullets a year. any input on the subject is well appreciated. I don't have the time or resources to build a Peltz buffalo.

You can compare some factory ballistics here.

http://federalammo.com/ballistics/Ammo_Sea...earm=1&s1=1

If you reload and want a light, non-varmint bullet, you could try the 130 grain Barnes TSX BT (and be condor safe too :D .)

Using the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3100, 150BT @ 2900, and 180BT @ 2700, my ballistic program says at 800 yards:

125BT has 1626fps, 734KE, 53"wind drift (10mph wind) and 182" total drop from bore.

150BT has 1678fps, 937KE, 46" wind drift and 193" total drop.

180BT has 1676fps, 1122KE, 42" wind drift, 212" total drop

Thats alot of drift and drop 212" :blink: :blink:

:lol: :lol:

I 'm just foolin. I know you forgot the decimals.

That is how much a bullet drops at that range! No missing decimal points!

The biggest complaint I have against light for caliber bullets is penetration and penetration in a straight line. The heavy for caliber bullets will get me into the vitals on straight away or bad angle shots if that trophy buck of a lifetime is quickly disappearing. I know the ethics police are cringing now but everyone that really wouldn't shoot a huge buck at a bad angle please raise their hands now. I thought so. I like 180's and 200 grainers for 30 caliber, 150's for 270, and 160's for 7mm. And in a premium configuration like Speer Grand Slams.

Mark

HnC, No missing decimals. That is the total drop from boreline at 800 yards. With a 250 yard zero, the drop is still 157" at 800 yards. I don't care to estimate that holdover with a regular duplex reticle.

Mark, I am with you on the bad angle scenario. I was considering the 130 Berger VLD in the 6.5WSM, but heard a report on performance through an antelope gut on an angled shot. Swayed me to the bonded 130gr Scirocco. Never have taken a shot yet angling forward through the paunch, but never hurts to be prepared for worst case scenario. (Wonder why my daypack weighs so much then). You forgot to mention that bigger antlers gives one an increased shooting ability at longer ranges for both archers and rile hunters.

I shot some of the 130 Lost River bullets and never got where I wanted to be with accuracy. I think when you drop out of the 150 range you might want to speed up the twist of the barrel.

I had a buddy shoot a Couse with a Berger VLD (308 with 168's) and he said the deer dies the right way but the bullet did not expand at all. He recovered it from the off side of a quartering shot. I like the way they shoot but am sticking with hunting bullets for hunting....