Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

General Purpose/ Back up Rifle

DECISION IS MADE.

Thanks for everyone's input and the offers as well.

I made my mind up that I was going to find a 270 or 270wsm that I liked the best and go with it. I saw alot of 270wsm available in stores as well as reloading components so I felt good about ability to get ammo as needed. And honestly-- if you are looking at box stores and even smaller gun shops--- the price between quality 270 ammo and 270wsm really isn't all that different (maybe 3-4 bucks a box for Accubond/Partitions/etc). The big difference is being able to find Core-lokts, Win Power Points, etc for $20/box for the 270. I will end up handloading for this rifle in the future anyways I'm sure, once I get caught up on my other rifles first.

I went to a few stores today and fondled a few more variations of rifles. Weatherby Vanguard, Browning Xbolt Long Range, Tikka T3x, Savage 116, 3 different Remington 700s (Mountain SS, SPS and CDL SF).

I found that I loved the feel (and the looks) of the CDL SF the best, hands down. It is a standard 270, 24" stainless, fluted with a nice looking wood stock. I'm not crazy about having wood but the balance and looks more than make up for it. Plus I got a heckuva deal as it was unfired on the used rack.

I already have a 700 pillar install kit and a jar of DEVCON at home. I will play with the trigger and see how I like it and go from there. I have a fair amount of wiggle room for the scope so that will be the next decision.

Of the rifles you were considering the CDL would have been my top pick.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new "project". If the trigger is a pro mark-x they do not play very nice. When I built my lightweight I was out of work for 6 months with a broken ankle, plenty of time to waste. I sat at my workbench and tried to turn a pro mark-x into something I could live with. It was a miserable failure.

• Like 1