Sign in to follow this  
bowtecharcher55

What to do? Dec tag or Rez

Hey guys new to this form, my name is Jeff and I live in Washington. I have a bug to go after coues and obviously want to shoot a mature buck, so I've been building some points in Arizona the last few years. Living so far away and not having the ability to scout my plan was to apply and pray I get drawn for a December tag for a better chance at a big buck. Well after doing some research I'm contemplating if I should keep applying for the December tag or pay the money for a Rez tag.

I really want to have the best chance to shoot a good buck and don't have have the ability to go / afford to hunt several times until I kill a good coues. So I'm thinking is it worth the extra money to hunt the Rez ( is the buck quality that much higher) or wait out a December tag?

T

Welcome to the best site on the Web Jeff!

Mature bucks are great but any coues buck is a trophy (and delicious).

Maybe it's not an "either/or" proposition. Maybe you keep building your points but look into a tag on a reservation or in Old Mexico.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the pictures of your first hunt!

• Like 1

Put in for a dec tag. It's too late for a 2018 tag on the Rez.

Apply for 2019 Rez tag, there is no guarantee you draw that tag with an exception of a certain unit that always has leftovers

• Like 1

The biggest advantage to the December tag is its two weeks long and fewer tags. If you cant hunt the entire two weeks there is not much advantage over one of the earlier tags. Good chance you wont see much rut activity until the last 4-5 days of the hunt, if that.

Personally prefer the October hunts.

If you are looking for a rut hunt, jan archery, REZ or mexico is your best choice.

• Like 4