Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

CWD

Just listened to a podcast on CWD and really thinking about it in a different way. Much more concern is one thing. I still can't seem to answer the question of wether or not I would eat the meat from a positive animal? I am leaning towards yes but also leaning towards no? What would you do if you were in Co and shot a cow that tested positive? Dump it or freezer?

I wouldn't, just because mad cow being of the same type of affliction is transferable to humans. until we know it's not 100% transmittable I'm not taking that chance.

on the other hand there is always the chance that the animal has the disease but it's still undetectable at that time.

It would be really hard for me to chuck it. Would Treating it like bear meat and never eating it undercooked eliminate the danger?

No on the cooking it out, something like 600 degrees to kill it off so thinking meat cooked to 600 would be not so great.

There was a really interesting point also on the cells bonding with clay and other types of soil and becoming 700 times more viable than animal to animal contact. So basically I now support and understand the thought of bait bans. Not sure why salt would still be ok.

The jury is still out on urine based attractants with the urine coming from infected animals on farms.

Listen to rinellas last meat eater podcast for more in depth info, very good Intel from science.

Texas has a corn flinger on every 200 sq feet of dirt and no CWD problems

Baiting banned for decades in states like Co and Illinois. CWD rampant.

• Like 1

Baiting in a non infected herd is fine sure but if an infected animal wonders into the area it could run through 100 animals in days and grow from there.

There are steps to minimize risk and bait is a risk.

Az luckily has been out in front of the issue and has not recorded any CWD in all testing done. However most don't get the free testing due to lack of knowledge of the test at all. CWD as of now has no cure and is spreading all over the nation in deer , elk, moose. It was kind of a bummer to hear, hopefully a cure and a way to administer it can be developed.

Just listened to a podcast on CWD and really thinking about it in a different way. Much more concern is one thing. I still can't seem to answer the question of wether or not I would eat the meat from a positive animal? I am leaning towards yes but also leaning towards no? What would you do if you were in Co and shot a cow that tested positive? Dump it or freezer?

I shot a mule deer buck in Colorado that tested positive, the facility called to inform me it tested positive, and if I used a butcher they would refund the fee. If you cut it up yourself the refund is fifty dollars. He also asked if I ate any of the meat, (NO) which they advise you not to consume any meat that test positive. Game and Fish had an ongoing study feeding a captive mountain lion nothing but meat that tested positive to see the effects it may have, and asked if I would donate the meat for this purpose. It sucks harvesting a deer, packing it off a 900 foot near vertical cliff and three miles back to the truck just to feed it to a mountain lion.

Thats gotta suck to lose all that meat. Id be heartbroken if it was an elk. Do you have any info on the study they were doing?

Currently we are also being lab rats, there is no mandate to have animals tested so a lot of folks are most likely eating positive animals. To date even in Colorado there has never been a case of human infection. I believe in Colorado they will replace your tag if you have a positive animal.

Azgame and fish does test for cwd. I don't know the number but I know people, mostly taxidermists send in the lymph nodes to be tested.