Sign in to follow this  
crazy4COUES

Forest Service closing approx. 50% of our roads!

Just wanted to take a minute to inform you folks of what is going on. The Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest is in the process closing over 50% of the roads we are currently using the Springerville ranger district. It will have a dramatice effect on the way we all hunt, camp and recreate in the Springerville district ( UNIT 1 ). Please all that can speak out and let them know the impact it will have on all of us whom appreciate and utilize the forest as is. I went to the meeting the other night and it is not looking good so please speak up! All comments need to be recieved by January 11, 2008. Here is a link for more info http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/news/2007/200...te-system.shtml

SEND written comments to:

TRAVEL MANAGEMENT/APACHE SITGREAVES NATIONAL FOREST

PO BOX 640

SPRINGERVILLE, AZ. 85938

SEND electronic mail to:

asnf_travel_management@fs.fed.us note "travel management" in the subject line.

OR CALL the "MAN" in charge himself!!!!!!

James Copeland at 928-333-4301 or 928-339-4384

Your help is greatly appreciated!

THANKS

Have already had meetings for the Coconino and Kaibab. I can agree with closing some roads. Do not agree with the dispersed camping a vehicle length from the road (dust, noise, safety, aesthetics) and no off-road travel to retrieve game. Like many G&F proposals, seems the public input meetings are equitable to windward urination.

i sent an email a while back when they were discussing the kaibab and coconino changes. they replied but pretty much said this is going to happen, sorry if you don't like it. pretty sad when the public, the guy paying his taxes and likes to use his resources has a mute voice.

I re-arranged some letters in the address crazy$COUES supplied and sent my letter. It was not returned so I'm assumng it went through.

This is the proper adddress, I think:

asnf_travel_management@fs.fed.us

Bill Quimby

I sent an email, but it was returned. Are you sure the address is

ansf_tracel_management@fs.fed.us

Bill Quimby

OH sorry it was a typo! It is travel not tracel. I went ahead and edited it THANKS

ouch, that is a huge difference in the number of roads!! It is worrisome as they may decide that they closed those roads and later on they may want to close more. What was the reasoning behind closing the roads? ag

I sent an email, but it was returned. Are you sure the address is

ansf_tracel_management@fs.fed.us

Bill Quimby

OH sorry it was a typo! It is travel not tracel. I went ahead and edited it THANKS

crazy$COUES: It's also "asnf" (for apache sitgreaves national forest) and not "ansf." I make similar mistakes all the time.

Bill Quimby

I haven't looked to closely at what roads are actually going to be closed but I know that that area currently has way too many roads and it could definitely use a lot being closed.

If the situation were reversed and the USFS were to say that they were going to double the number of roads so there is a road along every ridge top and draw bottom, I suspect many would not be too happy. But it seems there is a road leading everywhere right now and we are already have the "roads doubled" situation, so I have no major objection to the closure of some.

I haven't looked to closely at what roads are actually going to be closed but I know that that area currently has way too many roads and it could definitely use a lot being closed.

"SOME" roads I agree should be closed. If you look at the maps you will see what they want to do, it is overkill. They want to shut down over 50%!!!! That is insane, and why the Springerville district has so much more closure than others? When this goes into effect we are going to see people on 24" centers. Not only that but the USFS should allow atv riding on alot of the old loggin roads. They don't have to be maintained for ATV use! heck they don't even maintain the friggin trail the USFS built across virgin ground! It parralells and crosses the road many times!

"SOME" roads I agree should be closed. If you look at the maps you will see what they want to do, it is overkill. They want to shut down over 50%!!!! That is insane, and why the Springerville district has so much more closure than others? When this goes into effect we are going to see people on 24" centers. Not only that but the USFS should allow atv riding on alot of the old loggin roads. They don't have to be maintained for ATV use! heck they don't even maintain the friggin trail the USFS built across virgin ground! It parralells and crosses the road many times!

They also don't have to be maintained for those of us who don't have an ATV. My 4x4 pickup truck handles the two-track logging trails in the Springerville District just fine, thank you.

Road closures discriminate against old farts like me who have health problems and cannot walk far.

There already are several classic examples of discriminatory closures on the Apache-Sitgreaves, and the first that comes to mind is the old Squirrel Springs Road. This was a perfectly good road (and not just a two-tracker) that some yahoo decided to turn into a walking path, complete with a parking lot and toilets, near Greer.

I have no idea how much money was spent to barricade a historic road that had been used for more than a half century and put in those "improvements," but it was considerable.

People on 24" centers is a good description of what will happen when more and more roads are closed.

I have no trouble with banning the building of new roads, but closing perfectly good ones makes no sense at all! Who cares if a logging road goes nowhere ... or even "just" a mile or so? Existing roads help distribute people and reduce their impact on the land.

There's a new post on CW.com that tells about someone parking next to a CW member and racing up a hill ... I cannot think of a better example of what happens to hunters when vehicle access is restricted.

In a just a few years, when the wave of "baby boomers" hits age 70 and up, and the boomers also are unable to walk to the places the land agencies are closing off, I hope they scream bloody murder! Too bad the jerks who want to deny us access to our property will already have taken their government pensions.

Bill Quimby :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I agree with that. Unit 1 & the northern part of unit 27 are both criss-crossed with so many roads & two-tracks that are fast becoming roads that it's rediculous. If there was a map that actually showed all of them, it would look like a dang waffle. I think they need to close the 50% & start enforcing the closures that are already there. Can't tell you how many quads & jeeps I've seen go right around the dirt-mounds on closed roads & haul but up the trail.

Matt S.