Sign in to follow this  
dds

2007 Coues buck

Greetings,

I am posting a picture of my brother-in-law's deer. He was only able to hunt opening morning...the big one got away. Enjoy.

post-166-1194811176_thumb.jpg

Here is Charlie's story:

Well, here is the story of my hunt. I located a very large buck 2 weeks ago while scouting. I only had opening day to hunt, as it was my son’s 3rd birthday and we were going to ride the polar express train in Williams. I also drew the late bull hunt in the same unit, so the 2nd weekend was going to be primarily a scouting trip. On the way down on Thursday afternoon, we saw mule deer, turkey, a coati cross the road, and then a mountain lion cross (50 yards from a camp), I felt it had already been a great trip. Friday morning came, and I sent my friend out on a point to glass as I stayed to watch the hill I saw the large buck 2 weeks ago. Immediately I saw an 85 inch buck at 250 yards, which I elected to pass. Then I glass 5 more bucks above him. As I put the spotting scope on them I noticed he was there with another 100 inch buck. I ranged them and they were at 380 yards, which I chose to not shoot, as I’m not comfortable shooting that far. I had a knob between me and them and decided to stalk closer. As I got to where I needed to be I peaked around a rock and there he was at 125 yards. I truly thought they would be gone, as they were feeding to the north side into their bedding area. This buck I believe to be well over 115 as he has extremely big bases with trash all over his rack. He’s about a 105 main frame with 2 extra points on each eye guard and I counted 6 points on his right side not counting eye guards. Not a lot of long points for a lot of scoring but a pleasant sight to look at. I needed to sneak around the rock for a shot. As I got into position to shoot I saw a large rack looking at me at 118 yards, I was busted. It was now or never. All I knew is it was one of the big ones, but I truly thought it was the nontypical. I shot and the buck dropped. Then the other 4 bucks came out of the brush as they didn’t know what to do. I put my binos up and there was the nontypical at 125 yards. I thought my buck got up and it was him. I elected to not shoot as I didn’t want to put 2 bucks down. After the long wait, I went up and found this beautiful buck. I am very pleased with him. You can see his G2 and G3 on his left side are starting to split, definitely the same gene pool as the big one. Game and fish aged him at only 3 years old. I can’t imagine him at 6-7 in his prime. Anyways, it’s my sixth buck from this unit, and I was finally able to top the 100 inch mark, so I am very happy. Well, congratulations and good luck to others. Charlie

nice buck! I knew that you would shoot a big one this year, because i didn't get a tag this year too shoot it out from under you. :P

no just kidding congratulations on a great buck! :rolleyes: