PSEHunter

What would you do? (hunting etiquette)

I am a much more calm person now that I have learned to embrace a "whatever" mentality. Not much bothers me anymore... it's just "whatever" and off I go to do my thing. They have to live with themselves and their own Karma, and I have mine... I like mine better.

this is my second post. it's an interesting topic. i grew up in the white mountains, and back then we could find places to hunt where we wouldn't really see other hunters. a few weeks ago i was out checking cameras in unit 32 and saw about 30 trucks on deer creek road. i left because i didn't want to disturb others hunts. i'm just curious how most of you feel, when i see hunters, or fisherman if it's that sport, my first inclination is one of frustration, and i wish them no luck and cuss my way along away from them. but then if i see were to see them at sportsman's or somewhere, i'd feel immense camaraderie. so it's an interesting dynamic of both communion and competition. and a shame the game and fish is creating this situation. less access, more hunters in the field, worse opportunity.

anyone else feel the same way?

I feel the same way for the g&f for creating this situation. Quality is gone, now it tag sells how many they can get into one area.

I've been hunting Coues for more than 50 years. I believe the number of hunters has declined the last 10-15 years. I don't blame game and fish. The big problem is access and it's just going to get worse. When I was young it's true there weren't as many hunters, but you could go just about anywhere to hunt. I pity my kids and grandkids who may have to pay for a place to hunt or know a friendly rancher like they must do in many other places in the country. Jack

I've been hunting Coues for more than 50 years. I believe the number of hunters has declined the last 10-15 years. I don't blame game and fish. The big problem is access and it's just going to get worse. When I was young it's true there weren't as many hunters, but you could go just about anywhere to hunt. I pity my kids and grandkids who may have to pay for a place to hunt or know a friendly rancher like they must do in many other places in the country. Jack

They had a thread on archerytalk.com a couple months ago about what people had to pay for tresspass fees & hunting leases, etc. Some of those guys spend thousands of dollars a year just to have permission to hunt on someone else's land! Screw that! I don't like the crowds, but I'm very thankful that we have as much public land as we do out here. If you really want to escape the crowds, buy something that burns hay, otherwise this is what we've got to deal with.

Matt S.

one time a friend o' mine went hunting and left real early and parked at the end of a dead end road. he shot a deer and headed home and a couple miles from where he was parked, some jackass had left his truck parked in a cut, where nobody else could get around it, locked it up and left. guess he didn't know someone was already in there. anyway, my friend waited a couple hours and nobody showed up so the only way he could think of gettin' around was to disconnect the guy's rear driveshaft and roll the truck outta the way. so he did that and give it a little push, he couldn't steer it and the truck had a mind of it's own and took off haulin' down the road and he couldn't stop it. it bounced across the bar ditch and center punched a big ol' rock. smashed the heck out of it. next day we were bs'in' at a local cornvenience storeand he was tellin' me the story and a wrecker come along with said truck on the hook. i thought it was real funny, but he worried about it for awhile because he's a decent guy and i ain't. dang, it bashed in that truck. it's still funny. Lark.

one time a friend o' mine went hunting and left real early and parked at the end of a dead end road. he shot a deer and headed home and a couple miles from where he was parked, some jackass had left his truck parked in a cut, where nobody else could get around it, locked it up and left. guess he didn't know someone was already in there. anyway, my friend waited a couple hours and nobody showed up so the only way he could think of gettin' around was to disconnect the guy's rear driveshaft and roll the truck outta the way. so he did that and give it a little push, he couldn't steer it and the truck had a mind of it's own and took off haulin' down the road and he couldn't stop it. it bounced across the bar ditch and center punched a big ol' rock. smashed the heck out of it. next day we were bs'in' at a local cornvenience storeand he was tellin' me the story and a wrecker come along with said truck on the hook. i thought it was real funny, but he worried about it for awhile because he's a decent guy and i ain't. dang, it bashed in that truck. it's still funny. Lark.

That is funny stuff right there!!! :lol: :lol:

I hate people that block roads!!! And I hate people that walk all over other hunters that they know beat them into a spot just as bad!! :angry:

:( Lark I wish you had not told that story.

Now CnS is going to be out there disconnecting everyones drive shaft

and bailing wireing the up so they just spin :o

Lord help everyone in the southern 30 units :unsure:

This last week I was hunting with a family friend......He is an older gentlman, not able to get back in too far.....It was a crappy windy day so we went to a little honey hole just off the road......you can barely fit two cars in the pull out......About and hour or so in two guys pull up and squeez their truck in next to ours and proceed to hike up the opposite hill we were glassing.....I whistled at them and waved my arms because we had found a little buck in there and thought there might be some more.....It didn't help, they looked at us through their binos and kept hiking.....But thats the name of the game.....Just left them a note with a number to one of those sex chat lines and told them to call me cause I was interested to chat with them about the spot......BWHahahahaha

This last week I was hunting with a family friend......He is an older gentlman, not able to get back in too far.....It was a crappy windy day so we went to a little honey hole just off the road......you can barely fit two cars in the pull out......About and hour or so in two guys pull up and squeez their truck in next to ours and proceed to hike up the opposite hill we were glassing.....I whistled at them and waved my arms because we had found a little buck in there and thought there might be some more.....It didn't help, they looked at us through their binos and kept hiking.....But thats the name of the game.....Just left them a note with a number to one of those sex chat lines and told them to call me cause I was interested to chat with them about the spot......BWHahahahaha

You have #'s programmed into your cell phone for sex chat lines :unsure: :o

Gino does :o

You don't?! :huh:

I still have that truck here in Safford Lark. No one wants to buy it !

"I've been hunting Coues for more than 50 years. I believe the number of hunters has declined the last 10-15 years. I don't blame game and fish. The big problem is access and it's just going to get worse. When I was young it's true there weren't as many hunters, but you could go just about anywhere to hunt. I pity my kids and grandkids who may have to pay for a place to hunt or know a friendly rancher like they must do in many other places in the country. Jack"

I also have been hunting in Arizona for more than 50 years (it will by exactly 60 years next year) and I agree that the number of hunters has declined the last 10-15 years. (Actually it has been the last 37 years, ever since the permit system went into effect in 1970.)

I, however, do blame Game and Fish. That agency has steadily reduced permit numbers and has never been an active advocate for hunter access.

Permit numbers today are based on parking spaces. Whenever another gate is locked permits get reduced another percentage point or two or three .

When I was young, there were nearly three times as many deer hunters as now. The deer season started on the last Friday in October, and ran into December.

I and more than 100,000 other hunters bought tags over the counter at sporting goods stores and went anywhere we wanted.

If we wanted to escape crowds, we waited until the second or third week. Believe me, we had entire mountain ranges to ourselves after the first week.

Please, everyone, don't dig up the lame old excuse about the growth in Arizona's human population and the advance of civilization eliminating deer habitat. Nearly 82 percent of Arizona is in some form of public ownership and will never be devloped.

Bill Quimby

I know its been a while since this topic started.

All I have to say is AZ plates "1 shot J" is a piece of work. Antelope hunt in unit 1, Sept. we watch this heard of goats for three days before the hunt. Put them to bed the night before. This "1shotJ" comes in right before dark, very unpleasant, rude man. We asked what his plan in the morning was because we had a buck located. He stated that he'd been watching this buck as well for the last couple of days, which is a crock. because we never left. we sat in a spot and looked everywhere. we had seen other people sure, we didn't crowd them and they didn't crowd us. We got to camp the night before the hunt a decided we would go in at 3:00am and wait for daybreak. 3 pairs pf eyes, spread around this valley. Just before shooting light we find the buck. My friends mother is the one who had the tag. So they start to make their stalk through the cover of dawn getting as close as they could before the sun came up. all of a sudden roar'n over the hill down the road comes big white Ford, "1shotJ". my friend and his mother stop him and say we found him and we're gonna take him. they drove right by around them, with no remorse

jumped out, shot, loaded, without even dressing the animal and left the area. They KNEW they were in the WRONG

Sure i was pissed, but what upsets me the most is, that it was a kid with the tag that was with "1shotJ". And he is passing along these very poor hunting ethics along to his son or grandson or whoever the boy was. I hope i never run into them again!

I know its been a while since this topic started.

All I have to say is AZ plates "1 shot J" is a piece of work. Antelope hunt in unit 1, Sept. we watch this heard of goats for three days before the hunt. Put them to bed the night before. This "1shotJ" comes in right before dark, very unpleasant, rude man. We asked what his plan in the morning was because we had a buck located. He stated that he'd been watching this buck as well for the last couple of days, which is a crock. because we never left. we sat in a spot and looked everywhere. we had seen other people sure, we didn't crowd them and they didn't crowd us. We got to camp the night before the hunt a decided we would go in at 3:00am and wait for daybreak. 3 pairs pf eyes, spread around this valley. Just before shooting light we find the buck. My friends mother is the one who had the tag. So they start to make their stalk through the cover of dawn getting as close as they could before the sun came up. all of a sudden roar'n over the hill down the road comes big white Ford, "1shotJ". my friend and his mother stop him and say we found him and we're gonna take him. they drove right by around them, with no remorse

jumped out, shot, loaded, without even dressing the animal and left the area. They KNEW they were in the WRONG

Sure i was pissed, but what upsets me the most is, that it was a kid with the tag that was with "1shotJ". And he is passing along these very poor hunting ethics along to his son or grandson or whoever the boy was. I hope i never run into them again!

Heard that story...... and that guy sounds like a real swell dude!! Heath told me all about it..... You guys showed way more restraint than I would have. The sad part is that many adults are teaching thier kids those kinds of ethics and respect for others...... all to ensure they get the big one on that hunt.

CnS