Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Archery Bear/What if...

What if the cub became lion food and you kill the sow and g&f found milk on the sow with no "cub" lol a lot of what ifs can happen. I just re read and fixed for ya oops

Couple things here, if a reasonable attempt is made to check for cubs (I.E. bear walks through a saddle and no cubs in tow) then I would have to think it's a legal bear. The burden of proof could not be to check adjacent areas for cubs as a Bowhunter. That's ridiculous! Lions leave their kittens behind a lot, same thing would apply. Wouldn't this be common sense that they don't want hunters to intentionally kill a sow they know has cubs?

A comparison to killing the wrong type of deer is indeed laughable, and has no merit in this argument.

On a final note, my hunting pard and I passed a shot a bear while bow hunting w a very large "cub" in tow. I had a friend immediately call G&F to find out a legal definition of what a cub was. They acted baffled and couldn't even give an answer and eventuall said Heffelfinger would be calling back to give detail or an answer to a fair question IMO (I believe spots is the standard they go by w lions). This thing was pushing 100lbs but we did not think it was a male/female rut scenario or did we feel it was a nursing cub. After a big run around with no one wanting to officially answering the question from G&F, we still never got their position because Heffelfinger never did call my friend back as stated by G&F that he would. Not a big deal, but I would have been interested to hear their official position none the less.

Funny we heard the same thing as stated above from other hunters , shoot the small one first, problem solved

i think youre on the right track. i would try to turn them into dancing bears.

I think the real money is in motorcycling bears. Saw a big ole brown bear riding a moped around the ring at the Ukrainian national circus in Kiev about ten years ago. Impressive! That bear was a better motorist than most of the clowns playing bumper cars on our freeways everyday.

Was it texting too? I'd pay good money to see that.

A comparison to killing the wrong type of deer is indeed laughable, and has no merit in this argument.

My comaparison was simply in reference to what type of "punishment" G&F would dish out. Some people honestly mistake the species. Always results in at least confiscation of the carcass and a ticket, sometimes loss of hunting privileges. I would assume killing a sow with cubs would end in a similar fashion.

My mistake, i do agree the punishment would be the same/similar if they sided against the hunter in oneshots scenario.

5guysburgerwfries,

Thanks

Our game and fish has a history of throwing the book at someone who confesses a mistake such as the one in this scenario. I have read enough of them to know that you would be foolish to ever admit a mistake like this to anyone. Once it is done it can't be undone and to turn yourself in doesn't make it better for anyone.

I get that it is the moral high ground to turn yourself in but I believe you can learn from your mistakes without the game and fish giving you a few thousand dollars in fines.

False. I can tell you from personal experience that if you turn yourself in it's reallyup to the judge on what your punishment is. I once shot at a buck antelope, my arrow deflected off the blind I was sitting in and smacked a fawn that was directly behind the buck. I had no idea it was there as it was completely blocked from view by the buck. Well that fawn was double lung'd and Diego. The spot. I called game and fish and showed the carcass to the WM. When I went to court the judge laughed at the whole thing and fined me $100.

Nobody was outto get me. Nobody wanted to prove a point, and I didn't wait until I was caught to apologize or fess up.

I know a friend who shot a Muley with a coues tag. He cut the head off and put an archery tag on it despite shooting it with a rifle (December). He was a new hunter and didn't know the difference between the deer, learned the hard way. He got to feeling bad and called azgfd and turned himself in. Paid a modest fine, no loss of privileges and never made that mistake again.

Guest oneshot

Oneshot, in all due respect, if you're going to argue against points made that differ from your idea, why post at all?

The fact is the law states sow without cubs. It doesn't set a special set of ciscumstances if you're hunting in difficult terrain.

And, even if someone has been in the same exact situation as you described, the chances are that no two cases are going to play out exactly the same.

Not argueing a differing point FirstCouesWas80, we all know you can;t shoot a bear with cubs...

The question was/is "What if the Bear is sepperated from her cubs when she comes past a hunter in tight terrain???"...

and a follow on question of "Can sex be determend of a bear 'on-the-hoof"???