Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ernesto C

Pictures through binoculars

Guest Ernesto C

Ok my fellow members once again I need your expert advice,I know some of you take pictures through spoting scopes and/or binoculars.Does it has to be and specific brand or type of camera? or are you using one of those screw-in lens on your binos or camera?

For several weeks I'm being watching this herd of deer,last week I took my wife and kids to watch them we had a blast.We got about 300 yards from them there were 3 fawns still with white spots on them my doughter was really excited to see that many deer together,a total of 16 of them,does,fawns and bucks.

Got my 15X60 binoculars out and set them on the tripod,got out a 35mm camera and tried to take pictures through the binos but had a really hard time to do it.

We move in closer and we were able to get with in 50 yards of them and again had a hard time trying to take pictures through the binos. I took some pictures but I dont know how they will come out until I develop the film.

How you guys do it? I'm going to keep working on this until I figure this out.

Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Ernesto,

I have found it is almost impossible to get things to line up correctly with a 35MM. however, with a digital camera with a LCD viewfinder you can actually see what will turn out. So I just hold it up till I like what I see and then hit the button. Usually with my binos and camera unless an animal is inside 800 or so yards the picture does not turn out that good. Or if wind is creating any shake at all it will be blurry. Anyways, as far as what kind of digital, so long as it has a screen you can see it should work fine. Of course the more MP and zoom you have, likely the better your pictures will turn out, but any one will work to a point. I find the binos zoom work just fine and rarely use my camera's zoom at all. Good luck

Bret M.

Ernesto,

I've got a Bushnell 20X scope that I have taken pixs through both with an adaptor and just shooting it through the eye piece. If you look around, you can find adaptors (not all that expensive) that will let you hook your camera (35mm) right to the spotting scope so that it is now the lense. Really brings things in close, however, you have to use fast film because you will have to set the shutter speed down to compensate for the magnification and lack of light (i.e. 400 film, set it at 100). Takes good pixs, but must be during the day.

A side from the need to use it during the daylight, a scope with a camera attached is ackward and will need a good tripod. You will also need to use the self-time feature on the camera to eliminate camera shake.

Just FYI,

Les

I just got some OK photos of the bull and his cows that are always out in mormon lake.when the sun is out and you cant see in the veiw finder very well.I take my digital camera and put it in the right side of the binos. Then I take my right eye and put it in the left side of the binos. This way you can see were you are looking with the camerathrough the binos. the only hard thing about doing it this way is getting the picture centered.

The best way is like bret said above and use the veiw finder if the light will let you.

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks my fellow members I'll try the digital camera,I was thinking on the adaptor also but I'll try the digital first.

I was really sorprise that day that we got really close to those deer,specially with my 9 year old dougther and my 3 year old son;they knew we were whatching them but they keep eating,we watch them for about one hour until got dark. I know once quail season start they will dissapear.

Once again my fellow members I apreciate your help,happy hunting and God bless.

Ernesto C.

mr. c. , good topic. i use a canon a-70, 3.2 mp and my pentax 20-60s, as well as my sons 12-50 on a tripod and run the camera zoom out to 3x and insert the camera into the eye cups and the results are awesome. i have found that if i am in the shade the veiwfinder is a lot easier to pick up details. i am new with this so gimme some time and i will get some pix posted. good luck!

I for one would like to see your pictures. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Guest Ernesto C

Once again thanks guys,I went to the store yesterday and was looking at some cameras,prices,megapixels etc etc.

I know my wife wants a new camera so I already got more than 50% chances on my favor :blink: if you know what I mean ;)

Is November yet???? man I can't wait.

Thanks and take care.

" Is it November yet?"

AMEN TO THAT!!!! man im sittin here at NAU and im going insane!!!! i have my 30-06 and the 270 checked in the police station and i have my alpens up here and by back is itchin like none other but i have no way to scratch it!!!!!!! not till nov. 10, when i leave here fro tucson, then to arivaca to shoot a 112 3/8 and glass up a 115 7/8 for my ole man, hows that sound?

Casey

I'm goin to the "area" this w/e we'll see if i can get some pix on the post, hang in there!

"area"? 36b dec. tag. would be nice to get some before and hopefully after(life) pix. casey good luck w/ the tag maybe i'll run into ya. shoot me a pm here if ya wish, see what happens

Guest Ernesto C

Pigman I have the Docters 15X60 I'm being using them a lot lately because I want to be ready this November in 36C. I will try to locate a deer for my brother who is hunting for the first time and then I can look for one for my hopefully a 100 inch or better :blink:

I understand you very well me fellow members,my rifle is trying to get out of the safe he's ready to go.I have my back pack ready,tripod,binos.........I better shut my mouth or I'll never stop typing. ;)

God bless every body.

Ernesto C.

It is getting very close!!!

I think we all feel what you are going through Ernesto! :D

:D

Edited by More D