Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Trying to keep cool at long range

Went out this morning. Yesterday I thought Ill put a some 2 hole straps on the side of my truck and use the beach umbrella and a work fan. Fan was nice, but it ever so slightly vibrated the truck. I did it on the ground and worked great but I was out by myself and some of my 800 yard shots I couldn't here hits on steel because of the fan. So if you have a spotter it would work great!

post-12761-0-65403700-1501960618_thumb.jpg

This was a good group at 522 yards. My cold bore was a total of 7 inch. I've found out that when I shoot over 20 rounds my cold bore starts drifting left always about 2-3 inches and when warmed up it shoots lights out. But when I give it a good cleaning, my cold bore is back on track. But seriously every time I go out and shoot this gun I have to clean it or my cold bores will shot wild!

post-12761-0-28990900-1501960867_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

no fouling shot? my first shot is always way off if i dont foul it with a round or two. the heat is a killer and takes forever to let a barrel cool ladder tested a new load yesterday didnt even get to finish before i had to call it quits

no fouling shot? my first shot is always way off if i dont foul it with a round or two. the heat is a killer and takes forever to let a barrel cool ladder tested a new load yesterday didnt even get to finish before i had to call it quits

I think Im answering this right but I don't do a fouling shot. I make sure my cold bore is cleaned! Once the barrel gets fouled and its a cold bore shot I can be off up to 4 inches. I was going nuts with it. But once it warms up it shoots lights out. Every time I shoot cold bore with a clean barrel bullet is true!!! This will get annoying after a while and R 23 with the 142 SMk worked good on some test rounds. I might try those in the future after this season to see if I don't have these crazy cold bore shots like with these 147 ELDms. But I got this 147 g ELD m, BC 0.697, 6.5 mm shooting at 3059 fps. That's going to do a number right there!!

My 338 lapua likes to be clean cold bore shooting 285 eld m. My 6.5 creedmoor shoots all shots good it is a ctr with a 20 inch barrel I shoot berger 140 hunting bullets

how does youre gun group shooting a cold fowled barrel? with those speeds im geussing 6.5x284 im approaching 2900 with 4350 shooting 124 hammers out of my 260rem still not finished though thats the load i was ladder testing

My 338 lapua likes to be clean cold bore shooting 285 eld m. My 6.5 creedmoor shoots all shots good it is a ctr with a 20 inch barrel I shoot berger 140 hunting bullets

Hmmmmmm well that's 2 ELD m right there that are wanting clean cold bores

how does youre gun group shooting a cold fowled barrel? with those speeds im geussing 6.5x284 im approaching 2900 with 4350 shooting 124 hammers out of my 260rem still not finished though thats the load i was ladder testing

That is why I need to clean it, because fouled cold bores it will shoot strait left, not up or down, or right just strait left 2-4"s. If cleaned cold bore is dead on. Once fired and barrel is slightly warm it shoots true.

No rifle is 6.5-270 AI. I would be shocked if a 6.5-284 is pushing a 147 grain more than 2950. I can shoot the 143 ELDx at 3180 and be around 1"-1.25". But I settle for 3100 for tighter groups. But the 147 are more consistent. I could of kept going with my load but for the sake of time I need this rifle ready for a goat hunt.

yea ive got a box of 140 eldm's just havent got around to playing with em yet, so is it just the eld's you have that problem with then?

haha smart thinkin 5guys, im lucky my shooting spot is a short quad ride from the house i dont even take my truck if i get hot i go home come back latter

haha smart thinkin 5guys, im lucky my shooting spot is a short quad ride from the house i dont even take my truck if i get hot i go home come back latter

Thats awesome. I dont have that luxury, so i make it a two or three day shoot.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy!!!! You just took this to another level! Just when I thought I was cool now this.

I need to plan doing something like this. I do have a weekend warrior so I can put the ramp down. Then I would have a nice bed to lay on and shoot. Just don't shoot your truck 5 guys

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy!!!! You just took this to another level! Just when I thought I was cool now this.

I need to plan doing something like this. I do have a weekend warrior so I can put the ramp down. Then I would have a nice bed to lay on and shoot. Just don't shoot your truck 5 guys

Ha! Not my truck. It worked great the master cool was blowin at about 75 degrees. We got shut down by the fire restrictions, but its time to go now.