Sign in to follow this  
cjw2222

Which adapter for Swaro 15x's

So i finally got me a pair of 15 swaros on the way with the outdoorsmans tripod and jim white head but i need some input for the adapter from the bino to the head. i know swarovski makes on as does outdoorsmans and they even sell a different one on this site.

so basically im after some opinions on them to try and complete my dream optics setup :D

I have never used the Swaro adapter so I can not say on that one.

I made my own when I bought my Swaro's because I did not want to pay the Swaro price and has worked well.

I bought a Jim White a month or so ago and I have to say :(

Jim the base is to small to keep the binos steady,

On my tripods anyway :huh:

I have bought several things from J.W. and have liked all except this.

Mike

I use the Jim White adapter and I think it's great. It's rock steady for me and it's much more lightweight and easier to use than the one made by swaro.

And as with anything I sell...if you don't like it, you can return it for a refund. So I would suggest you try the Jim White adapter and see if you don't love it like I do.

Gamehauler, what part isn't steady the receiver or the post? I locktite my receiver onto the plate of my tripod head and screw in the post on the binos well and it really is rock steady. I can't imagine how you don't have a steady adapter. I will PM you about it to get it cleared up for you.

Amanda

i got the swaro mount when i bought my glass and it was ok, but then i got the outdoorsmans mount and i really like it, no experience with the jim white one but if its like anything else of his its superb

the swaro mount has worked fine...although I am worried about how it will hold up to more abuse...the outdoorsman mount seems to be a little nicer. I have no experience with the jim white one....

Amanda, is the Jim White adaptor a quick release or not?

The Jim White adapter works by having a post that screws into the front of your binos between the barrels. That post then slips into a small receiver that is mounted onto the a plate on your tripod head. I leave the post on my swaros and leave the receiver on the tripod head. When you want to put your binos securely on the tripod, you just slip the post into the receiver. When you want to remove them, you just lift them up. No screwing or unscrewing required. Very simple and well designed.

Here are some photos to try and show the adapter. The photos were originally done to shown the tripler, so they aren't perfect for showing the adapter, but you should be able to get the idea.

Amanda

post-1-1195356584.jpg

post-1-1195356697.jpg

amanda thanks for the pictures. and thanks to all that have replied so far.

as it sits now, i feel i should try the Jim White first and if that is not up to par, which i cannot see why it wouldnt be, then the outdorrsmans in next on the list.

I have all 3.

I haven't used the Jim White adapter since I bought the Outdoorsman's a couple of years ago. Personally, I thought the Jim White adapter was a little cheesy. For the price you pay, it works fine but I didn't like the fact that your binos could easily fall off if your tripod head happens to fall forward. Not a pretty thought when considering what it's holding!!! Like I said, for the price you pay, it works fine. I ended up not even using the small receiver and just mounting the adapter to the tripod. I felt more comfortable with it that way, even if it meant taking the time to unscrew it every time. Not to mention that if you happen to carry your binos around your neck with the adapter on the binos it pokes the crap out of your chest while you walk. What would be cool is if Jim designed a way to cam lock (or lock in anyway) the adapter to the receiver.

The advantage to the Swarovski adapter is obvious for you if you purchased the 15's brand new. It comes with it free now! Something to consider, anyway. And it works well too. I haven't used it too much but I had the same thought- if it would withstand the abuse. And that's only basing it off of it's functionality.

This is why I like the Outdoorsman's. It's smaller than the Swaro, cheaper (if I remember correctly), manufactured well, very solid, and it's functionality seems simple with what appears to be less that could go wrong with it. Has the same idea as the Swaro except it has a knob on the top that sinches everything down on the small stud that sticks out like the Swaro adapter.

The Outdoorsman adapter has a flat base and is fairly low profile so you'll never know it's there if you wear your binos around your neck. You can also fit your 15's and the Outdoorsman's adapter attatched in the purty new Swaro case cause it's not too bulky.

PS The reason I leave my Outdoorsman adapter on my binos most of the time is because I have the Outdoorsman's pistol grip and it slides right into place. There are attatchments you can get to make it easily work with the Jim White head though.

My $.05 :D

Hey Tines thanks much for the post. since i am spending so much $ on the whole setup it would seem ridiculous to skimp on the adapter.

and i had not idea the new swaros come with their adapter, looks like ill be using that one for the time being.

I would like to retract my post :unsure:

The problem was with my tripod head not the adapter.

The head has a cork pad on it and the adapter just sat on the edge of the cork causing it to feel a little loose.

I was not using the receiver and was just screwing the adapter to the head.

The wider foot print of the receiver made it much more stable.

I think i may also remove the cork under the receiver and locktite it.

Sorry for any confusion :(

Mike

I've used the Swaro adapter for years with no trouble. I like it because the base of the adapter fits right into my Bogen 3160 pan head with no other adapter or base plate. I do think that the collet type adapter with the flip lever fits too loosely to trust your binos on the tripod when walking from one spot to another. You need to keep you hand through the strap and have the binos pointing downward if you do decice to walk with them on the tripod. I walk with them alot because I don't usually go very far to get another vantage point. Just be careful when doing so.

Good luck! You've just raised your hunting to another level with the purchase of the 15's. I don't know how I ever did without them!!!!!! If I lost mine today I'd have to finance another pair immediately because I would feel lost without them.

I've used the Swaro adapter for years with no trouble. I like it because the base of the adapter fits right into my Bogen 3160 pan head with no other adapter or base plate. I do think that the collet type adapter with the flip lever fits too loosely to trust your binos on the tripod when walking from one spot to another. You need to keep you hand through the strap and have the binos pointing downward if you do decice to walk with them on the tripod. I walk with them alot because I don't usually go very far to get another vantage point. Just be careful when doing so.

Good luck! You've just raised your hunting to another level with the purchase of the 15's. I don't know how I ever did without them!!!!!! If I lost mine today I'd have to finance another pair immediately because I would feel lost without them.

haha i know what your talking about and i dont even have them yet. I always try and sneak my dad's away for a trip but he always seems to "need" them for something now. so i decided to man up and pick some up. plus im gettin everything at cost ;)

haha i know what your talking about and i dont even have them yet. I always try and sneak my dad's away for a trip but he always seems to "need" them for something now. so i decided to man up and pick some up. plus im gettin everything at cost ;)

It will def be the best purchase you will make. Once you have them, you cant hunt without them...you wont need a new pair for a very very long time if not for the rest of your life. You gotta love it!

I have the Jim White adapter for my Leicas as it is much better than the one Leica provides. Like has been said, the head can fall out. My Leicas have fallen out but thank god they fell into my lap, not on the rocks I was sitting on! ( And of course this is the first time I EVER took them out into the field!)