Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

Mr. Sharpie!!

Since moving to MT, I have found out that I love Sharpies.

I found out that I love the country that you call home.. Seems that there ain't too many tenants out there other than yourself.. That's quite OK, though.. it's you we came to see anyways...

112007009.jpg

112007016.jpg

111607015.jpg

Every once in a while though, I'll find you in company of your neighbors...

1011_edited.jpg

I love how you remind this quail loving Texan of a big, fluffy overgrown Bobwhite!!

112007011.jpg

111607018_edited.jpg

minus those big, overgrown snowshoes for feet!! Those definately aren't quail-like!!

1036.jpg

and lastly, I'm pretty sure the pups have taken a liking to you as well!!

112007020.jpg

112007018_edited.jpg

You know me Amanda.. Im the resident CW.com bird fanatic!! And since I couldn't hunt big game here in MT this season, I'm taking FULL advantage of hammering all the birds I can!! And being that there is 7 diff species you can hunt up here, I've been keeping the mutts real busy!! I went out today and really got into the birds thick.. moved 6 coveys of grouse in 3 hours.. Our weather has been great.. it's been blue bird skies, with a dusting of the white stuff on the ground.. Highs in the upper 30s.. in all, perfect bird hunting weather. Not too hot, not too cold!! It is a bit chilly in the morning though.. it was 10 when I got uo this morning!!

Don't worry about me giving up on the big stuff, though... I've got a BIG GAME hunt lined up for this upcoming Jan up here.. A trophy bison hunt on a huge ranch up in north central MT.. I can't wait! The bulls on this place look like wooly mammoths!! They're beyond huge!

Well guys??? How did the Mearns opener go?? It was killing me that I wasn't there with my mutts in one of my all time favorite places chasin' those amazing little birds.. So, let's here how it went!! With pics preferably!!

I figured I'd go ahead and throw a few more pics on the thread from the last couple of days.. Yesterday was great hunting.. plenty of birds, great weather, etc.. today was pretty much the exact opposite of yesterday.. the wind HOWLED!! And it was colder than a well digger's... well, you get the idea. And the birds were WILD!! They were getting up at 60 yards plus at times.. and the Huns, well let's just say that they were all safe on this trip. Wild little devils..

"At least I know I'm in the right area!!"

112307014.jpg

"atta boy.. fetch 'em up.."

112407006.jpg

they don't call 'em Sharpies for nothin'!!

112307024_edited.jpg

112407002.jpg

"Hey!! That's MY bird!!"

112307020.jpg

"good pups.."

112307028.jpg

beauty.

112307021_edited.jpg

Well scott, gotta say it, you missed probably the best conditions of mearns that I have been on! Doug and I didnt see ANY birds in the am, but i think we got into about 6 coveys in the evening. I missed 2 birds that were BEGGING me to shoot them, but I did manage to get a double on two males. One was a mature, the other a juvey. Doug was hoggin all the birds, and his Weatherby was on fire. He ended up with 6 birds in 7 or 8 shots!

It was COLD and wet! the mutts would have loved it!

AWESOME PICTURES!!!! :blink: Thank you!

You should frame the one with the dogs looking the same way with the fence, birds, hunter ornge and shotgun in the back ground!!!!!!! ;)

Lance