Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

Barrel twist question

You can probably go up to a 69gr Sierra Match King no problem. In fact, that would be the bullet I would want to shoot. They perform very well on Coyotes and even bigger critters and shoot extremely well. I would stick with bullet weights between 50 and 69gr with a 10 twist. My Savage has a 12 twist and shoots the 69gr Match King into the .3s and prefers Reloader 17 with the heavier weights.

I'm shooting the hornady varmit express 50 grain right now. It shoots a dime group at 200 yards dead on. I've read that that 50 grain is to small for that fast or a twist but it seems to shoot that bullet just perfect. Also some said my barrel would burn up quicker? Anyhow I thought I'd just ask to be sure.

You can probably go up to a 69gr Sierra Match King no problem. In fact, that would be the bullet I would want to shoot. They perform very well on Coyotes and even bigger critters and shoot extremely well. I would stick with bullet weights between 50 and 69gr with a 10 twist. My Savage has a 12 twist and shoots the 69gr Match King into the .3s and prefers Reloader 17 with the heavier weights.

I have only shot one Coyote with a 69 smk, it was at a much lower velocity than 22-250. (fired out of a 16" 223). Hit the yote broadside at 250 yards, classic behind shoulder lung shot. Bullet didn't upset very much, small exit wound. Coyote went 300-400 yards leaving almost no bloodtrail before dying.

Based on that one experience, I'd recommend a 69 tipped matchking or maybe a vmax, elderly, or ballistic tip. But I'd be wary of the std smk with any impact velocities below 2300-2400 fps.

I have shot several coyotes with the 69 SMK from a 24" .223 @ 3033fps MV. All died right there, right now. And the accuracy is astounding. We have also shot a few javalina with them, and nothing went further than 50 yards. Jackrabbits can't stand them either.

I have given several of my same reloads to friends for their kids to go shoot does, and they all worked great on muley does too.