Sign in to follow this  
Siwash

Suggestions on Savage Replacement Barrels

I just picked up and older left hand Savage 110DL in .30-06 at a reasonable price. Future plan is to build off the action (finding a lefty action is tough) and like most Savages it does have a barrel nut so swapping barrels seems to be fairly simple. Plan is to go with a 6.5x284. There other several manufacturers that offer screw in replacements: Shilen, McGowen, Krieger, Criterion.

Anyone have experience with any of these companies? Maybe it is a Ford/Chevy question... I would be looking at a 26" blued barrel, #4 or 5 contour and $400 would be the budget.

Also, aside from Boyd's and Choate it doesn't look like there are many Savage lefty stocks available out there. Of those two, I'd lean towards Choate. A custom McMillan isn't in my budget. Anyone aware of any other lefty stock manufacturers out there?

Thanks for reading.

Small sample group, but, I have rebarreled two Savages. Both heavy barrels. One is a 7/08 ER Shaw barrel and the other is a .243 McGowan barrel. I really can't tell the difference between the two as they both shoot bugholes with minimal load development. The shaw barrel was a bit less expensive as it is chromoly steel and not stainless.

Mcgowan makes a great barrel as well as Criterion. My current barrel on my match rifle is a Mcgowan chambered in .260AI and it is literally one of the most accurate barrels I have seen. I also have a sporter weight .25-06 in a Criterion barrel that shoots fantastic. I have used a lot of E.R. Shaw barrels and had good success with them as well but they do require a bit more break in as they are not hand lapped like the others. Check out gunshack.com , thebarreloutlet.com , and Northlandshooterssupply.com for prefit barrels ready to ship. Check stockystocks.com for left hand stocks I want to say Bell & Carlson also makes a lefty stock for a Savage.

Order now to build later. Most of the barrel manufacturers seem to have a 6+ month waiting list on barrels.

Don't sleep on 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. Both would be good options on that action. That is what I plan to build someday.

Thank you guys, both gunshack and Northland have decent options in stock...I'm starting to think maybe I should get 2 barrels :)