Outdoor Writer

My New Girlfriend

Tony,

Sasha is very pretty.Do you know what stores the Rocky Mountain Game and Fish are in?.My Dad has a subscription and I saw the picture of my fish in there.I wanted to pick up a copy for me.

Noel

Tony,

Sasha is very pretty.Do you know what stores the Rocky Mountain Game and Fish are in?.My Dad has a subscription and I saw the picture of my fish in there.I wanted to pick up a copy for me.

Noel

Noel,

The only place I know of for sure is the Fry's grocery stores. -TONY

ive seen'em at some wal-marts also

nice looking dog there Tony!! What kind is she? How did you end up with her?

We might be getting a new dog soon. Someone offered us a golden retriever. I also went to the pound today to check out what they had. Had some beautiful labs and rottweillers and a funky sharpai (sp?) mix.

Amanda

Yeah, I am tempted to get that rottweiller, it was a young male. Not sure I want a male dog though. We have always had females and I still have my dog Molly. But he was so friendly and happy, I just wanted to take him home.

Amanda

nice looking dog there Tony!! What kind is she? How did you end up with her?

We might be getting a new dog soon. Someone offered us a golden retriever. I also went to the pound today to check out what they had. Had some beautiful labs and rottweillers and a funky sharpai (sp?) mix.

Amanda

I adopted her from the local AZ Lab and Giant breed rescue group, where I've had my application in for a couple months. Her previous owners bought her from a Colorado kennel as an AKC registered chocolate, but she is what they call a "silver" lab. AKC will list them as only black, yellow or chocolate. Silver lab puppies generally sell from anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500.

Sasha will be two years old on Dec. 5. She's spayed, housebroke and crate trained already and also has some rudimentary obedience training. Her adoption fee was $200, which included a thorough check-up at the vet, license transfer fee and a microchip implanted. She even comes with her own collar, leash, bag of toys and her fav blankie.

Right now, at 83 lbs. she's about 10 lbs. overweight. So we'll need to work on that. -TONY

Well, you will have to at least wait to start the diet until after her cake and ice cream for her bday party on the 5th! :D

She's a cool looking dog. never heard of a silver lab.

Amanda

Well, you will have to at least wait to start the diet until after her cake and ice cream for her bday party on the 5th! :D

She's a cool looking dog. never heard of a silver lab.

Amanda

Yeah, my wife said the same thing. Maybe I'll just give her a healthy green bean meal for her BD. ;)

Until the rescue gal mentioned Sasha to me a week ago, I had never heard of the silvers either. Once I saw them, I was intrigued, but the rescue group wasn't quite sure they would get her until last Sat. Do a google on "silver labs" and you'll find a lot of stuff on them.

Ironically, I was supposed to meet a yellow girl Fri. afternoon, but at the last minute the owner decided to keep her. I was a bit upset at the time because she was about everything I was looking for, as well. Now I'm glad it didn't happen. -TONY

Good looking girl. At first glance, I thought she was a mix of Weimaraner and lab.

Doug,

When the silvers first started appearing, some lab breeders claimed the same thing. Supposedly, the silver trait is due to a recessive gene in a chocolate, however. When the folks at the AKC examined a bunch, they proclaimed them pure-bred labs. They must be registered as chocolates because the AKC recognizes only black, yellow and chocolate versions right now.

Elmer,

Agreed! -TONY

Silver = White chocolate and dark chocolate mix :rolleyes: ???

Do you know how much retriever training has she had or will have? Will she be used for ducks, quail, tennis balls?

Silver = White chocolate and dark chocolate mix :rolleyes: ???

Do you know how much retriever training has she had or will have? Will she be used for ducks, quail, tennis balls?

Doug,

I think a bit of Dutch chocolate tossed in, too. :lol:

She hasn't had any formal retriever training and will likely not get any because I won't be doing much bird or waterfowl hunting in the future. She did great at the park with the red ball in the one photo, though. She fetched it with great enthusiasmm. She grabs it, brings it back, drops at my feet and then watches it intently, hoping for another toss. When I quit tossing it, though, she would move about 5' in front of me and start jumping and barking to convince me to toss it again. Sooo...the ball will likely provide her main exercise, although I still have a retreiver dummy that I used with my GSP.

When I met the foster parents at a nearby dog park yesterday, Sasha came right to me for some petting and readily warmed to me. She was very mellow and got along great with all the other dogs that wandered over to investigate her. In contrast, even without a leash, she remained close at hand unless we tossed her ball for her to retrieve. So I closed the deal on the spot.

The rescue group has a rule that the dog has to be in a foster home for at least 24 hrs. before adoption, in case there are any real behavioral problems. They had just picked her up and took her for the mandatory checkup at the vet's yesterday morning. That's why I can't get her until today. -TONY