Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Another quote to play with!

Came across this quote earlier today. Start taking guesses, BUT...REMEMBER -- NO GOOGLING!-TONY

"The professional market hunter who kills game for the hide or for the feathers or for the meat or to sell antlers or other trophies; market men who put game in cold storage;and the rich people,who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions----these are the men who are the real enemies of game"

Good guess, Packhorse. That sure sounds like Teddy. I'll second that guess. When do we find out if we're right?

Well that certainly didn't take long. TR it is! Good job guys.

Considering some of the recent discussions here, I thought this part was kind of interesting, even though it was uttered many decades ago. -TONY

"...and the rich people, who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions----these are the men who are the real enemies of game"

Well that certainly didn't take long. TR it is! Good job guys.

Considering some of the recent discussions here, I thought this part was kind of interesting, even though it was uttered many decades ago. -TONY

"...and the rich people, who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions----these are the men who are the real enemies of game"

I'm curious, was he refering to people killing confined game for sport or buying fresh meat at the market? During the depression, buying store meat was considered a luxury most could not afford and many many people relied on wild game for meat.

I'm curious, was he refering to people killing confined game for sport or buying fresh meat at the market? During the depression, buying store meat was considered a luxury most could not afford and many many people relied on wild game for meat.

Given the first part of the quote about commercial hunters, I'd guess in that time frame he was referring to the people rich enough to buy the game/products killed by those commercial hunters. But if we take that quote and apply it to some of the goings on of today, it still has some relevence, huh? -TONY

Another TR quote: "I don't shoot well, but I shoot often."

THere's no such thing as a perfect shot, there's just making the most of the opportunities that present themselves.