az4life

Best Choice for Varmint rifle

I personally like to use my .300 win mag, not only does it give me time behind the trigger of my primary hunting rifle it also does quite a number on yotes and PD's. Nothing like having confidence in your rifle when it's down to crunch time.

I agree.... For me Varmint Hunting is Practice for Big-Game Hunting....

Jason

You cant beat the 22-250. I have killed tons of animals with it from prarie dogs to deer. For coyotes I love to hit them with a 50gr Hornady v-max. Usually no exit hole, and the inside turns to jello.

I personally like to use my .300 win mag, not only does it give me time behind the trigger of my primary hunting rifle it also does quite a number on yotes and PD's. Nothing like having confidence in your rifle when it's down to crunch time.

I agree.... For me Varmint Hunting is Practice for Big-Game Hunting....

Jason

No problem with practicing with your deer gun... if you got the money Brian does ESPECIALLY since he doesnt reload!... ya know how much it would cost me to shoot my 270wsm as much as I shoot my Kimber 22-250?

I am a huge fan of the AR's in .223

It was a toss up between the 22-250 and the .243 when i was making the same choice. I went with the .243. There is more variety in reloading it. They can be loaded with 55 grain bullets and shoot just as fast as the 22-250. Whatever you choose get the heavy barrel and a good scope. ENJOY :D

I have 4 different varmit guns, Savage .204, .22-250, .243, and a Bushmaster Varmiter .223. By far my fav has to be my .22-250. I don't miss to often with it, and I can really reach out and drop them out to a good 450yds. I like my .204, I keep in in my work truck so when I see a yote that I just can't pass up I hop out and pop him with it. When I take 300yd plus shots and connect, It usually needs a fallow up shot. I almost never take out my .243 anymore. As for my AR15, I have had it about a year and havn't taken it out too much. It is a dead on tack driver that I have 1700.00 put into so far and for some reason I don't want to get it dirty!!! This season I am only going to use the AR to rack some kills with it!

I have a buddy that bought a .17hmr. It is an awsome tack driver. When it comes to hunting yotes with it, you will spend more time tracking blood, if any than skinning. We have lost alot of yotes!

I would buy the .22-250 and use .55gr V-max bullets w/H414 in the winter, H4895 in the summer. I reload, but when I am out and don't have time to reload, I buy the Hornady .55gr V-max

If you have the money, Get the AR15, there a blast and a little cheeper to shoot!!

What about the 257.

I don tknow if i would consider the 257, of either the bob or the roy ( thats 257 roberts and 257 weatherby) as a varmint round. heck, I dont even consider the 243 a varmint round. Its the 22-250 all the way!

I am hoping my boy builds me a custom .204 for christmas this year......gonna be real disappointed if it isn't in Santa's bag of tricks.....but in the past it has been 22-250.....I really don't think I could own a gun that will take it's place but am hoping to give the .204 a try.....come on Santa....... :)

I have always used my 22-250, a buddy of mine bought his wife-to-be a .204 for deer and smaller and it is sweet!!! I wouldn't mind having one myself!

CnS

Is a 204 legal for deer? is it .20 cal and less or .22 cal and less?

???? It is a center fire cartridge..... I think that is all that matters. :huh:

i shoot a 17 hmr and love it.....have never had to track anything i shoot with it....killed a coyote at about 200 yards with it and it dumped him....