az4life

Best Choice for Varmint rifle

i shoot a 17 hmr and love it.....have never had to track anything i shoot with it....killed a coyote at about 200 yards with it and it dumped him....

I own both callibers 22-250 and the .17hmr in my opinion the 250 is the better varmit gun,

but i want to take the .17 out and try it on some coyotes, what grain bullet are you using

the 17grn or the 20grn i know it dosent sound like much difference but i hear the 20grn

performs much better on yotes.

My friend shoots a 17hmr and we have learned that shot placement is VERY critical with it. We have had more than one run off with a marginal shot that my ar15 would have dumped the yote with.

Just something to think about

I use a DPMS AR in .223 and love it! Works great when you have either a follow up shot or more than one coyote coming to the call. Plus its just alot of fun to shoot. ;)

My friend shoots a 17hmr and we have learned that shot placement is VERY critical with it. We have had more than one run off with a marginal shot that my ar15 would have dumped the yote with.

Just something to think about

I finally got a shot at a coyote with the .17hmr and i have to say that i am dissopointed!!

the shot was about 100 yds and i hit him good, he spun twice and hauled butt,i went to

look for blood and found nothing. I think the .17hmr is a great for fox and jack rabbits

but next time i head out for coyotes ill be packing the 22-250.

The exit was too big, but is understandable since that 130 grain PSP (federal vital shok) exited out the white belly after passin through the lungs on the downward 90 yard shot.

Looking into the options and advice it seems the overwhelming opinion is the 22.250. However, I weighed some options and am leaning toward a 22 mag as most of what I'll be shooting is prairie dogs and rabbits. I do have days where I take after someone else on this site who will remain nameless... and blast through so many rounds that the thought of lead poisoning the water table goes through my mind. Them little prairie dogs are so fun to shoot and so many of em, that I could break the bank with a few days like that on anything centerfire.

I know a 22 mag will take out a yote or fox or most any small critter as well, just not out to 300 yards. Still pondering but maybe I need both?

I'm going to research a while more until the snow is gone and the temps warm up a bit morein this oart of the country before making the buy.

thanks for the advice and I'll let you know what road I take.

Looking into the options and advice it seems the overwhelming opinion is the 22.250. However, I weighed some options and am leaning toward a 22 mag as most of what I'll be shooting is prairie dogs and rabbits. I do have days where I take after someone else on this site who will remain nameless... and blast through so many rounds that the thought of lead poisoning the water table goes through my mind. Them little prairie dogs are so fun to shoot and so many of em, that I could break the bank with a few days like that on anything centerfire.

I know a 22 mag will take out a yote or fox or most any small critter as well, just not out to 300 yards. Still pondering but maybe I need both?

I'm going to research a while more until the snow is gone and the temps warm up a bit morein this oart of the country before making the buy.

Any guesses on who this member is?

if you are going to throw that much ammo out there, then maybe the .223 is a better option. The rounds are comparably cheap if you buy them in bulk.

twoguns

Probably others could fit the bill as well but we can count on Casey to step up and claim it first!

LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all the input

Actually, with my 22-250 im pretty deadly! Ask Jim, when i hit the buck in MExico, i dumped him. I EVENTUALLY make the shot count :D

Okay, most of you got it right. 22.250 is what I'm looking for. I have handled a few and am leaning toward the Tikka T3 Lite. I'd like to try the T3 varmint model but have not found anyone that had it to handle.

I can buy a new T3 Lite for well under $500 and the varmint model for just a bit over that. Have not heard anyone that did not like the Tikka and it has a record of accuracy and trouble free Performance.

Has anyone handled both or do you have personal info on either of these??