Sign in to follow this  
Hunt7112

6.5-284 norma Hornady case sticking ?

I reload that same brass, also in a Savage action. I had the exact same experience. What I did was sand down my shell holder a few thousands of an inch so when I ran the brass through a full length resizing die it could push the shoulder down just a bit.

I reload that same brass, also in a Savage action. I had the exact same experience. What I did was sand down my shell holder a few thousands of an inch so when I ran the brass through a full length resizing die it could push the shoulder down just a bit.

could you of just seated the die a few thousandths deeper?

No, in this case the full-length resizing die would "bottom out" when it hit the shell holder. The only way to get it any further down was to decrease the height of the shell holder so the die could press the shoulder down.

I have a Savage 6.5-284 norma had originally bought nosler ammo to shoot for barrel break in and then have been using the nosler brass for my reloads. My first reloads were with the 140 eld and nosler brass had decent groups but wanted to switch to the 143 ELDX this year. Started working up my loads with the nosler brass found my tightest group. In the mean time my Hornady brass arrived. I loaded the same load with all the same components except for the Hornady brass and the group tightened up to right at 1/2 inch at 200yds. But will not pull the brass out once fired. Round goes in easily prior to being fired, they cycle just fine. Hadto use cleaning rod through muzzle to gently tap out. Same exact load in my nosler brass does not stick once fired, but groups are not as tight. Any thoughts from the experts?

You have a head diameter issue with your Hornady brass. Measure head diameter of Nosler brass and Hornady brass. I think you'll find head diameter on Hornady is bigger.