GRONG

big elk sheds

I know these aren't Coues deer but I thought that some of you might like to see the sheds I just found on Monday. Check out this link.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID18/1344.html

Josh Epperson

Ya they had hit the burr of the left antler a little but other than that they're almost flawless. I'm pretty pumped about the whole thing.

Josh

Mighty nice looking rack! I would ahve like to seen that big dude when he was up and around with that head gear swaying as he walked by! Maybe you can run onto his older Brother this for one of your live hunts.

Great Find :ph34r:

I think your rack and the picture that bret posted on the dead elk sure look alot alike. Did you see the one killed in san carlos yet he looks alot like that too. Alot of trash points. I think they are awsome sheds josh thanks alot for sharing them. If you would let me I would like to post them on a site I use alot that has a hunting spot. A couple of friends I have would love to see them.

Awesome find Josh!!! There certainly was a drastic change in growth from one year to the next. A lot of people wanted to find Grandpa's shed head gear, but whooda thunk. How many miles did you wear off your boots searching? I'm surprized that with all the deer, elk, tukey and shed hunters, that noone found them before. You must be a Trekkie-boldly going where no man has gone before :)

Congrats :angry:

Doug/RedRabbit

AWESOME FIND JOSH !!! I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE THAT LAST YEAR WHILE IN VELVET THE GRANDPA BULL WAS RUNNING AROUND WITH ANOTHER BULL PRETTY CLOSE TO THE SAME SIZE AS HIM. I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE YOU'LL GET LUCKY AND FIND HIS SHEDS TOO IF IT'S TRUE. HEY JOSH HOW DID YOUR ELK HUNTS GO ? ANY OF YOUR CLIENTS TAG OUT?

ALBERT

Hey thanks guys.

I haven't seen the bull Bret found dead yet.

Albert, I was the one that videoed this bull alive last year in velvet and there wasn't another one even remotely close to him. If you'd like to see the pics of him in velvet just email me and I'll get them to you. So far this year we got two 6x7's, one in 8 and one in 9. The biggest was 322" without a G4 on one side.

AZGUIDE, go ahead and post them where ever you want. Let me know the other sites as I always like to check out other forums. I was at San Carlos yesterday and everyone was talking about that hog that was killed there. Maybe the sheds will show up someday, as of yet they haven't.

Az4life, we tried getting his relative this year but we couldn't get him. Ended up getting killed by another hunter and went 447". Last year he was in the 470+" range. There's pics of him on monstermuleys.com under the elk forum 447" elk.

Thanks again guys,

Josh

Josh

It is www.arizonaoutback.com

It is a prospecting forum but they added a hunting spot for those of us that cant stop talking about hunting.

That might be some thing for the hunting forums to think about opening a spot for us hunters that cant stop talking about prospecting.HAHAHA

WOW! I was looking for those sheds mid March. You realize how the rain can make such a differance in antler growth in this state. If you could, email some pics to Nick Franklin. That bull that went 447 was killed in unit 8 I believe. Josh, did you ever get any film or pics of that bull when he was around 470?

I already called Nick and told him. He didn't sound like he really believed me but I know they're from him though.

Ya the bull you're talking about was killed in 8 and no, neither my friend that had the tag and found the antlers nor I could ever find the bull even though it was killed about a mile from our camp. Man did that SUCK!!!!!!! A guy from Kingman filmed the bull last year when it was alive. Go to www.callemin.com if you wanna see the video.

Cool AZGUIDE, I'll check it out.

Josh

It's definitely Franklin's bull. He'll just have to see the pics and then he'll believe it. It's great how a lot of bulls in that unit have good non-typical genetics. It must feel great to be the only person in the world to find the previous years anlters off the p&y non-typical world record. What a find

Edited by 111

Definitely seems like 8 is doing OK in the NT dept. I wonder what the big boom there is from? I guess that a few bulls just lucked out and got to reach maturity without being whacked first like so many other bulls. One of my clients in 8 shot a 7x7 bull last year that was probably 3 yrs old. He had some serious genetic potential, I was bummed to see him piled up on the ground there, knowing that if he'd made it 4 more years he would have been a monster.

It does feel good to have found these antlers but more because I've known of that bull since 2000 and that I had a chance to video him alive before he got nailed. When I saw him alive last summer I didn't know how big he actually was but I knew he was the biggest cloven hooved beast I had ever seen. Too bad my client didn't get him but that's the way it goes.

Josh

Edited by Josh Epperson