Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Hanging Chains

There is a simple little trick that makes hanging chains much easier. I mentioned it in another thread recently. I pulled out my chains to inspect them today and thought I would shoot a few photos and get it up here. It is one of those things that can make life much easier at a moment when it will be much appreciated.

Lay the chain out, make sure the tightening cam is to the outside. Place a 4 x 4 block several sections up, inside the chain. Drive onto the block. Pull the chain up over the tire. Work the chain tight, starting down by the block and working toward the end with the hook and cam. Engage the hook and cam. It is like installing the chain with the vehicle jacked up and you can get the chain fairly tight. I do not carry bunge cords.

post-15248-0-74416500-1511654250_thumb.jpg

post-15248-0-94569900-1511654284_thumb.jpg

post-15248-0-58653500-1511654304_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

That looks great.

I just lay the chain over the top of the tire and hook the bottom inside and then hook the outside cam and tighteners. Drive a few hundred yards and then adjust chain tension. Make sure to take tie wire and tie the loose chain ends.

That trick would not have worked a few years ago I had my tow hauler hooked up and lost momentum on the ice and started to slide.

Ended up backing and sliding into the ditch had to put chains on to get out. It was pretty hairy.

Nice trick Lee