crazyaboutcoues

My 2007/2008 Coues deer hunts

Tommy,

Good luck in AZ!! Hopefully we get some more snow for you here by the 1st! Burros were good to me last year, hope for the best for you and Jason.

jeff

I spent Saturday and Sunday morning in 36B looking for the buck my friend Jackson calls Moe. Moe is a 115-120 class buck that lives near his house. He was last spotted in mid August and hasn't made an appearence since. Jackson lives on the border of the national forest, he literally glasses deer from his roof daily. Here's a picture of part of Jacksons game room. Check out the full body mountain lion chasing the coues buck. Pretty sweet

post-35-1197946439_thumb.jpg

He's also taken some great muledeer in NM and AZ

post-35-1197946431_thumb.jpg

Saturday morning we were on a small rock crop just about daylight glassing, we picked up quite a few does and some small bucks. We later moved to a higher vantage point where Jackson glassed three bucks about a mile away. Here's a pic of some of the country.

post-35-1197946451_thumb.jpg

The two smaller bucks (an 80 class three point and a 70 class 2x3) were sparing showing us a sign of some rutting activity. The bigger three point didn't really give us a good look at him before he bedded down. Jackson had to head back to the house to take care of some honey do's and I stayed on the mountain. I decided to take a nap for about an hour so i could visualize the next game plan :D . After the nap I decided to head up to where we glassed the three bucks. It took me about two hours to get there. Once I got to the knob just before the canyon where they were bedded, I sat and glassed back where I came from waiting for the sun to go down enough to make my final ascend to the canyon where the bucks were bedded. Finally the sun was down enough to where if the bucks came out I would be able to take a shot and not worry about the glare.

I walked about a hundred yards when I heard the first wheeze that coues deer make when spooked, I looked up the canyon about two hundred yards and saw the bright whitetail headed up the ridge. It was the 2x3 and the 3 point was right behind. Both bucks offered about five seconds to shoot at 250-300 yards before topping the saddle. I knew the third buck was still tucked in the canyon so I kept walking up the ridge. Sure enough the bigger three point came out of his bed and presented me with about a 250 yard broadside shot. I took my rifle off safety paused for a moment and decided to pass. This buck was a high 80's low 90's 3 point, he sure did get my adrenaline going though :blink:.

Sunday was really windy so we decided to call it a day early. We did glass up several small bucks, just nothing I wanted to go after. I left J's house about 10:00am and headed back to NM, little did I know my three hour drive home was about to change to six hours. Just after Wilcox my truck took a dump, I went from doing 80 to 30 MPH. I guess one of the injectors on my Duramax went out. I had to drive 30 MPH from Wilcox to Lordsburg NM. One of my buddies who owns a Powerstroke was more than happy to come trailer my truck back to Silver. He was so happy the he took a picture of his FORD towing my CHEVY. Hmmm was not a pretty sight. :D

post-35-1197946463_thumb.jpg

I'll be heading back to AZ on the 26th and hunting the rest of the year. Hopefully Moe will make an appearance.

To be continued

Alright Tommy,

Almost the end of the year, looking forward to an update on the AZ hunt as well as your thoughts as you head into the Burros! :ph34r:

I had a fantastic hunt in AZ. We glassed up over 30 different bucks in 5 days. The only buck I would have shot was about a 100" 4 point that we glassed up yesterday morning. He was about 1100 yards away when I found him and I watched him feed for about and hour before I could make out he was a 4 point. Once that was confirmed by Jackson, I went in to see if I could get a shot. About 45 minutes later (very steep country :blink: ) I was within 500 yards but unfortunately he fed his way down the canyon where I couldn't see him anymore <_< . We figured he bed down so I decided to go in after him and see if I could flush him out and get a shot. The only way I wouldn't be able to get a shot is if ran down the canyon, which is exactly what he did. :(

I also hooked up with Brian Fisher (Azpackhorse) Scott and Marlin. Had a great time with these guys. Scott killed a nice three point, but I never found a buck I wanted to shoot. Brian and I did go after a buck we thought was a shooter but they fed over a ridge by the time we got there. We also glassed up two lions, several illegals and a package that looked like drugs or something fishy on a rock pile. Marlin was bow hunting these little bad boys :blink: Hopefully he can get within range of one.

I'l be in the Burro Mountains tomorrow starting my second leg on Coues hunting. Maybe i'll get lucky. ;) Should be another great hunt.

thanks to Jackson, Brian, Scott and Marlin for helping out a fellow hunter.

Tommy

The Burro hunt has been very slow at least for me. I've seen a doe and fawn, a small spike and a giant three point at ten feet, yep, ten feet :blink:. I was on my way back to the truck after 10 hours out in the field. I was just about to top over a small ridge when I heard deer running. I thought I just spooked some mule deer. Three seconds later I see a giant coues buck running right at me. I didn't even react I just stood there watching this buck. Then I saw a coyote chasing him, the buck saw me and jumped to my left and ran down the ridge with the dog still on his tail end. :blink:

Pretty Cool ;)

I found a ridge that has tons of scrapes so i'll be sitting them in the morning.

Taking today off to go to church and pray for higher help ;) .

Four more days and we leave to Mexico, might have to have a second helping of tag soup. But oh we'll i'm having a blast.

To be continued

Keep your chin up man!!!!!!There's bound to be a huge reward in your future. Mexico holds some monsters and cola blanca outfitters are sure to show you a few!!!! Massively jealous!!!!!Wish I could afford it!!!!! Good Luck!!!

2008 Burro hunt is over at least for me. I hit a mid 80's class buck yesterday and I spent half of yesterday and most of today looking for him. I shot him at 37 yards but the arrow hit a little foward. I didn't get the vitals. I tracked his blood for over half a mile. At first the blood was good but after about 250 yards the blood stopped. After about three hours of searching the mountain I found some blood about 300 yards from the last place I marked. I followed it on my hands and knees but it vanished again. I honestly think he will live.

Jason on the other hand has a story to tell but i'll him tell it. ;)

Second serving of tag soup...now we are Mexico bound. Dang my month long hunt is almost over. I'm loving ever minute of it. :D

To be continued

Too bad about the Burro buck. Mexico ought to be a blast, can't wait for the update.

Have fun,

--Bill

Hey Tommy-

It's been great reading about your hunts. Now I think it's time you shoot something and kill it. Best of luck in Old Mexico. We'll be praying for ya. Safe trip!

Scott G.