crazyaboutcoues

My 2007/2008 Coues deer hunts

Well it's time to start the 2007/2008 saga. Except this year I have three hunts back to back to back. My first hunt starts next week in 36B, I was lucky enough to draw an AZ late December hunt with only three points. Tom Arygros hooked me up with an old friend in Tubac. I'll be staying at his house and hunting from his back yard. Hopefully we can score at least a 100 incher.

My next hunt starts January 1st in NM. Jason Amaro and I drew the late archery Coues deer hunt in the Burro Mountains. We've had trail cams out since about August, judging by the pictures it looks like there some big boys we need to put the smack down on. ;)

My third hunt starts January 11 thru the 17th in Mexico. Jason and I booked a hunt with Dan Bishop (Cola Blanca outfitters). We will also hook up with TAM a long time member of CWT.

I'll be hunting Coues deer for about a month, life is good ;). I'll start with a few trail cam pix of the burro mountains.

post-35-1197174883_thumb.jpg

post-35-1197174957_thumb.jpg

post-35-1197174999_thumb.jpg

This is the big boy

post-35-1197175048_thumb.jpg

post-35-1197175089_thumb.jpg

The big boy again

post-35-1197175152_thumb.jpg

I have several other pix of does and bucks that come thru on a regular basis so it looks like it's going to be an interesting year in the burros. Here's a picture of one of Jason's big boys, look at the trash :blink:

post-35-1197175366_thumb.jpg

As you can see the homework has been intense. ;)

Jason was kind enough to help me set up one of my tree stands on Friday, well he was there to call 911 if I happened to fall out of the tree. :blink:

Today I took my youngest son Gabriel and my Nephew with me to set up my other stand and have 911 on speed dial.

post-35-1197175921_thumb.jpg

Hopefully we will get some snow the next few days, makes it easier to hear the deer when your asleep in the tree. :D

To be continued

it looks like everything is done but the shooting... this is the first year that I really feel good about things. I think it all started when I found those nice sheds.... If hardwork is truly rewarded we should have backstraps for dinner this season... I looked at my gps last night and I have covered over 200 miles on foot this year looking for a perfect spot. I know that the burros has some monsters but I am launching arrows at the first legal buck ;) and when we go to mexico if it is 80 inches I am shooting... Dan said we could take a second buck for a fee ;)

sorry about that... I needed to board.... anyway, Tommy if it happens this year it happens but I don't think we could have "worked" any harder....

Jason, I seriously think you should up your Mexico minimums to 95+ and then keep hunting for a monster. You have to remember we're not hunting state land in AZ or NM. You should be seeing a lot of deer and a solid 95 incher should be pretty realistic. JMO

Tim

Jason, I seriously think you should up your Mexico minimums to 95+ and then keep hunting for a monster. You have to remember we're not hunting state land in AZ or NM. You should be seeing a lot of deer and a solid 95 incher should be pretty realistic. JMO

Tim

I hope that is the case.... I just want to take a nice animal..

jason

Here are a couple of Tommy hanging his treestand...

As Tommy mentioned I was on 911 duty....

As the best part is that the ambulance could drive right to Tommy's stand... But I will let him tell that story..

J-

post-21-1197506372_thumb.jpg

post-21-1197506424_thumb.jpg