desertbird

.243 load for first time hunter and shooter

The 95 gr partition would work just fine.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:24 AM, Delw said:

I can safely say I havent with the .243 with my 25-06 I had a problem with gamekings as the bullet was going way to fast and went right through. Granted it was a 40 yard with shot max load.

we usually work our loads up on yotes and see what kinda destruction each type of bullet does at what speeds results can be interesting.

What is the lowest grain y’all have seen in the .243. I don’t totally understand all of the dynamics yet, but my 11 and 13 yr old girls have javelina tags in 2 weeks and of course dad dropped the ball and finding the rifle they preferred. But we’ll see how they do on the .243. Reason I ask, is I could swear I’d seen some 55, 65 grain rounds before. Would a lower grain be best for the tiny humans? Or can y’all lend some pointers and maybe recommendation on a smaller rifle or shot? Maybe a 223 or 25.06 would be best? If so, and anyone comes across a line on either. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Ronny

55gr is fine in 223 or 60 - 90 in 243. 25-06 would work too just use a non-varmint bullet in any of the fore mentioned rounds to lessen bullet blowup and meat damage. Good Luck.

• Like 1