Sign in to follow this  
ScottAdams

Junior hunt, unit 27

Well the first day of our hunt has come and gone and we came home empty-handed. My 15 year old son has taken 3 bucks to date, 2 muleys and one Coues deer. His Coues buck was pretty small so we are out looking for something better. We only have 2 days to hunt so tomorrow is it.

We got onto 3 good Coues bucks first thing this morning. All were 3 pointers and 2 of them were really nice. Of those 2 one looked to be a solid 90's buck and maybe even over a hundred. I wasn't able to get a long enough look to tell for sure. The bucks stayed one step ahead of us and we just couldn't put it together for a shot. We had the big one at 350 yards but he never stopped long enough for us to shoot him before he crested the ridge. We setup on the backside of that ridge this evening but weren't able to locate the bucks.

We're going to a different area tomorrow where I saw 5 different Coues bucks last month.

Here's the only photo I was able to take of one of the bucks from this morning. I never was able to tell which buck this was. It may have been the smaller of the 3.

L1030336_crop.jpg

Scott

Guest Ernesto C

Yes Scott I second to Bret.Also I know both of you are having the time of your life.specially your kid,mmm ahhhhh to be 15 again.

Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us.

Ernesto C.

We're back from the day's hunt, empty-handed yet again. Our morning started out unusual and was a sign of things to come. While the boys and I were riding our 4-wheelers in, we came around a corner and of all things had a lion in the road! We "chased" him on our quads for about 300 yards before he decided that he'd had enough and bailed off the side of the road. We were only about 10 yards behind him the whole time and he didn't seem too concerned. It was about 4:30 in the morning so the lion tag in my pocket didn't do much good.

When we made it to our hunting area we had a pretty good wind hitting us in the face, but we still managed to glass up 17 Coues does and a small 2x2 Coues buck. He really wasn't much bigger than the one my son had killed a few years ago so we let him walk. I'm not sure where all the bucks were in this area. They must have been on the windy side of the hills where we couldn't see.

This evening we went into another area and battled the wind yet again. This time after about 5 minutes of glassing my youngest son, he's 14, using the 15x60 Zeiss spotted 2 mountain lions right where we were hoping to find some bucks. The lions dropped into a canyon and came out about an hour later where we had spotted 2 Coues does. I never was able to go kill one because they moved constantly and we were some distance away.

So that's how the hunt went; we had a good time and saw a lot of game, including a really nice bull elk while driving home last night. We did see some very nice coues bucks Friday morning and I'll be keeping tabs on them and maybe get some photos too since Bret has the December tag for this unit. Trying to kill a good Coues buck in 2 days on this early hunt was a little tougher than I thought, but it was great fun trying.

This is where the 2 lions were this evening. They were about a quarter mile beyond the tank.

L1030341crop.jpg

There was a really nice sunset this evening.

L1030351crop.jpg

Scott

Guest Ernesto C

Beatifull,Scott!! Nice pictures as always. To bad wasn't day light when you saw that lion,you know where he lives (including the other two) so you already have something to your advantage.You will get them including a coues for your son.

God bless.

Photos bien sehr gut!. Good exposure on that sunset and getting the flash to not wash out your son. Those lions must have made for a good days hunt, eveen though no trigger was squeezed. It was windy here in Flag also. Vielen gluck auf morgen, und danke for taking the time to share with us.

Doug/RedRabbit

Thanks Doug. That photo was one of 17 I took of the sunset using the trial and error method. Gotta love those new digital cameras.

Scott

Guest Ernesto C

That's right Bret,besides they have a great teacher training them,they'll also be great hunters;like father like son.

Any body else have or will have their kids hunting in the juniors hunt??