Sign in to follow this  
257wby

Scoring question

I have an elk that I need to score and I need some clarification. The main beams never curl back in at the top, so can my inside spread be measured at the tips of the main beams? Here are couple of photos of my elk, sorry they're blurry(wrong camera setting). I took him out of 22 north last week.

post-1890-1197938801_thumb.jpg

post-1890-1197938815.jpg

Here you need this: American Typical Elk B&C or this page: B&C PDF

I think if the main beam is longer than the spread or the spread is longer than the main beam you have to use one measurement or the other. The links should get you taken care of unless someone here just flat out knows the answer.

congrats on your bull

It's a bit of a grey area you are talking about. B&C measurers handbook says that you can't take the inside spread at the widest point if the beams excessively flare outward. It's hard to tell from your pics. But if it's got a really abnormal flare outward then you take the measurement at the widest point below that flaring.

Amanda

Amanda is correct. :)

If the antlers gradually flare out evenly then the measurement will be taken at the tip BUT if they are like normal, grow out then curve back in a lttle then flare out abruptly then the measurement will be taken below the flare.

Thanks for the responses. He doesn't flare alot, its more like when the beams get to his fourths, they just keep going at a gradual rate. When I get it back from Clay, I'll post a head on view. Thanks again.

Mike