Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

The Rut

The buck we killed opening day in 33 was already ruttin up a doe. She walked by him and he lipped curled and the chase was on. He was definetly getting into the rut. I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything up north or down south?

Spent the first half of the week in the 36's and didn't see any rutting yet, except for 1 forky that was trying to chase some does around. All the does were by themselves and the bucks hanging out together still. Heading back in a couple hours and hopefully things have started to change.

saw a couple of rubs and saw a nice split eyeguard 3 by 4 with two does. He wasn't doing any chasing or lip curling but his neck was huge. He ended up bedding with the does and we chose not to shoot. (Rifle tag)

saw a couple of rubs and saw a nice split eyeguard 3 by 4 with two does. He wasn't doing any chasing or lip curling but his neck was huge. He ended up bedding with the does and we chose not to shoot. (Rifle tag)

Dude, You have got to let us all know how the rest of the hunt goes for ya...

Sunday in 33 we saw two differant groups of bucks hanging in the vacinity of does but still tolerating each other. Heading back down Wednesday. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

i saw 3 groups of deer each one had nice bucks in them and they were chashing the heck out of the does. that unit was in 24a

We hunted unit 22 over the long weekend. My girlfriend lost track of the days so we could've hunted and missed Christmas which would get me killed so in the interest of self preservation I decided against that. Angry woman with a bow would be a bad thing! We saw spikes traveling alone and two larger bucks (one heavy and high) lip curling and chasing does. One kept getting them up out of their beds and checking them. We saw no other hunters which was miraculous, but you had to walk over the rocks to get there. A couple of close calls but no shots.

Mark

Been out in 36 for the past week, early on saw a spike herding 5-6 doe, spotted a 4X4 by himself few days later, yesterday found a nice rub, and 2 fresh scrapes.

Yesterday, i had a rutting 4x4 at 40 yards from me.........too bad I have to wait til January to go get him!!!!! It was a thrill to have him that close and for so long.

I have archery hunted the last three days.First day for Coues, lots of ladies, no bucks so I decided to check the Mulies for two days.Same thing lots of ladies no rutting bucks. Did see one forkhorn hangin with a doe and fawn but no activity.Got all the ladies located just waiting for somebody to flip the SWITCH.