DCMHunter

2007 Pack in hunt

I am going to try and make this short because every time I try to tell a story I get kicked out and loose every thing I was working on. This year three of us, my brother-in-law, causin-in-law and myself did a horse pack trip into an area for the December hunt. Going in on Thursday we lost a camera and had a horse pull a ham string so we had to cut our trip short and camp in a differant area than we had planned to. But it all worked out alright. On Friday we glassed up some does and a small buck that we decided not to go after. The wind was blowing and it was trying to snow on us. On Saturday we tried a differant area and we found a nice 3X3 a couple of ridges over. While we were looking at him we spotted a small spike/forky on the closer ridge and my causin-in-law decided to shot it.

post-652-1198813792_thumb.jpg

Me and my brother-in-law tried to find the 3X3 after that and could not find him again. That afternoon we spotted another nice 3X3 but did not have time to work into him, so we decided to try and find him in the morning. The next day Sunday day break found us sitting on top of a ridge over looking the canyon that we spotted the last buck in and found that we were serounded by does. We could hear what we thought was two bucks sparring up a draw above us but all we could find was does in that direction. After about an hour we spotted the big buck working down into the canyon into the thick stuff and I decided to take about a 400yard shot and missed. I failed to compensate for the angle. I went down and looked for any sign of him being hit but couldn't find any. I decided to work the canyon in hopes of pushing him out to my brother-in-law but he would not leave the thick stuff. About noon my B-I-L started coming down to get with me for lunch when he jumped him in a small side draw at about 100 yards and he got him with one shot. He scored 83 1/8

post-652-1198813626_thumb.jpg

After getting his deer down to camp I went down were we saw the buck the morning before and set up for glassing and to be in position for a possible drive later when my B-I-L and C-I-L came down to help me glass. At about 4:30 they called and said they had just jumped a nice buck and he was headed my way. About a minute later the buck topped the ridge about 250 yards above me and when he stopped he gave me time to set up on my try-pod and make a one shot harvest. Mine scored 95 4/8

post-652-1198814211_thumb.jpg

post-652-1198816742_thumb.jpg

We ended up with three deer filling all three of our tags and 100 pounds of meet 20lbs the dink, 30 lbs my B-I-L and 50 lbs out of mine.

post-652-1198815587_thumb.jpg

This has been a good year for my family starting with my sons 3X3 muley from the first youth hunt and then him getting a turkey the next weekend and me getiing a bobcat. Then my daughter got her first deer a doe on the youth hunt up on the Kaibab. And then finishing it off with us getting three whitetail in Decdember.

I would like to thank everyone that gave me advice this year starting with Scott Adams. Amanda Moors and Matty

Having horses or access to horses must ROCK! Seeing what some fellas do to wilderness with their quads and Rhinos - I can understand why the forest service is gonna close off much/most of the state.

anyone wanna trade a polaris sportsman 500 4x4 for good horse and trailer???

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for a good story!

Congratulations on a very successful year! Good to see you got some good help from people on the site too (of course those 3 are always helping ;) ) that's what this site is all about! Congrats again,

Kevin

Having horses or access to horses must ROCK! Seeing what some fellas do to wilderness with their quads and Rhinos - I can understand why the forest service is gonna close off much/most of the state.

anyone wanna trade a polaris sportsman 500 4x4 for good horse and trailer???

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for a good story!

I'm working on this :)

Mike

Awesome! Way to go guys! Thanks for the pictures.

Congratulations on the 3fer.

I hope this link works. Me and my brotheer-in-law put together a picture video of our hunt and posted it on you tube

I hope this link works and you enjoy the video

Congrats on a sucessfull hunt and great job on the video. All of my family just got done watching it and they really enjoyed it.

Phil