Sign in to follow this  
Flash

How far do bucks travel?

In my neck of the woods, mule deer bucks and bulls have specific areas where they are found depending on the season. They are never in their rutting grounds when it's time to shed hunt or start scouting in late summer. My question is how about coues deer. How far do they move and whats their habits? I find most of my bucks during the rut, will they be near by those areas in a few months? Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

In my neck of the woods, mule deer bucks and bulls have specific areas where they are found depending on the season. They are never in their rutting grounds when it's time to shed hunt or start scouting in late summer. My question is how about coues deer. How far do they move and whats their habits? I find most of my bucks during the rut, will they be near by those areas in a few months? Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Jim Heffelfinger can best answer this. I suspect they're a lot like younger humans and move around a lot when searching for a good time, but stay pretty much in a small area the rest of the year if there is ample cover, food and water.

Bill Quimby

I agree with Bill. I'm no expert, but in my experience Coues bucks will definitely wander a ways during rut, however i don't think they have traditional rutting areas like mule deer and elk seem to (areas they will travel to from their summer hangouts to rut year after year). I've hunted areas and i thought i had every buck in there pegged, then rut comes and everything goes haywire. The bucks i knew about are nowhere to be found and other bucks come in and leave pretty much daily looking for a hot doe. If a hot doe is around, there could be a dozen or more bucks in there. But it seems to be hit or miss. One year a certain spot will be loaded with deer during the rut, the next year you can hardly find a deer. Go a couple canyons over and they're everywhere. It just like wherever a hot doe ends up, that's the happening spot. During the rest of the year they occupy a pretty small area unless food or water forces them to move.

I agree with Bill. I'm no expert, but in my experience Coues bucks will definitely wander a ways during rut, however i don't think they have traditional rutting areas like mule deer and elk seem to (areas they will travel to from their summer hangouts to rut year after year). I've hunted areas and i thought i had every buck in there pegged, then the rut comes and everything goes haywire. The bucks i knew about are nowhere to be found and other bucks come in and leave pretty much daily looking for a hot doe. If a hot doe is around, there could be a dozen or more bucks in there. But it seems to be hit or miss. One year a certain spot will be loaded with deer during the rut, the next year you can hardly find a deer. Go a couple canyons over and they're everywhere. It just like wherever a hot doe ends up, that's the happening spot. During the rest of the year they occupy a pretty small area unless food or water forces them to move.

Word up to that! I glassed up a 110+ buck from the road the other day! How often does that happen?! Of course, he was with 7 of his girlfriends, so I guess thats the hill they wanted to be on!

I've seen some whitetails WAY down low and WAY out in flats this year. I'm guessing one, its partly whitetails continuing to expand their range and second the rut making the bucks range wide and pushing does around.

Ok, so here is a quesion on this topic:

This month I have found bucks in 3 separate canyons, How likely is it that these bucks will be in the same canyons in August/ September?