azcouesandelk

Backpack Hunting

I can't imagine camping like that Amanda in just a bivy without a tarp. Wow. Ultra light.

cmc

hehehe, yes, it was an adventure! But it wasn't that bad. Thank god for the bivy and tube tent we took with us. What's funny is my husband volunteered to carry our regular tent back in there, and I said "nah, the weather isn't supposed to turn bad....." hehehe, at least we had a carried some shelter in "just in case". The worst part was when my boots got soaked during the hike up the mtn to glass in the morning. At that time, I didn't have decent waterproof boots and that was really unpleasant since it was so cold. We tried starting a fire for quite awhile to dry the boots out and eventually got one started even though most everything was soaking wet. Wasn't much else to do since the fog was so thick we couldn't glass more than 30 feet away from us. I LOVE backpack hunting!!! :D

I agree with you all on the sleeping bag ratings. I use a zero degree bag to keep me warm in 20-30 degree weather. I even have to use a sleeping bag liner to add more warmth sometimes. I am just a sissy girl after all..... :P

Amanda

I can't imagine camping like that Amanda in just a bivy without a tarp. Wow. Ultra light.

cmc

hehehe, yes, it was an adventure! But it wasn't that bad. Thank god for the bivy and tube tent we took with us. What's funny is my husband volunteered to carry our regular tent back in there, and I said "nah, the weather isn't supposed to turn bad....." hehehe, at least we had a carried some shelter in "just in case". The worst part was when my boots got soaked during the hike up the mtn to glass in the morning. At that time, I didn't have decent waterproof boots and that was really unpleasant since it was so cold. We tried starting a fire for quite awhile to dry the boots out and eventually got one started even though most everything was soaking wet. Wasn't much else to do since the fog was so thick we couldn't glass more than 30 feet away from us. I LOVE backpack hunting!!! :D

I agree with you all on the sleeping bag ratings. I use a zero degree bag to keep me warm in 20-30 degree weather. I even have to use a sleeping bag liner to add more warmth sometimes. I am just a sissy girl after all..... :P

Amanda

THere's another lesson learned the hard way. Bear Wallow Canyon has numerouse opportunities to get your feet wet while crossing back & forth over the creek. It's common sense that once water gets over the tops of your boots they fill up & your feet are wet. What isn't common sense is that you can ruin your nice $160 light-weight, Gor-tex lined Montrail hiking boots by drying them too close to the fire. Get Gor-tex too hot - it aint water proof any more. Learned that the hard way. Those boots only had about 3 trips on them. I still use 'em, but only when it's dry now. The flooded east fork of the Verde was dang cold when I crossed it this Dec. in the Mazatzal, but my bare feet still dried a lot quicker than my boots would have.