geologger

Foote Creek Ram

Hey guys. I'm new here, but I heard you were talking about me.

I was fortunate to kill the trophy of a lifetime on my sheep hunt this past December.

I've been applying for a sheep tag for 26 years and it finally came true. I was determined to make the best of it and really make it a memorable hunt. Obviously it turned out better than I dared to dream!

I'm still pinching myself!

I'll try posting a picture and if it works I'll add more.

Ed

congrats on a great sheep, and very worthy of it after 26 years, congrats again

Well, I have 4 points toward sheep. I hope I can still walk in another 22 years!!

Congrats on a great ram.

Mike

Holy Crap!! :blink:

WOW what a trophy that guy is!

I don't think I could deal with the pressure filling a tag that took 26 years to draw.

I hope you have a chance to find out.

You will do just fine.

You become 100%

Mike

Thanks guys. I still spend a fair amount of time in my garage just staring at it, saying "dang that's big!"

I have to wait another couple of weeks for the official measurement. The green score was 195 0/8. AZGFD came up with 196, but they added wrong. The amazing thing is that there are only 2/8 of deductions.

I really searched for a ram with longer horns, and was willing to forego some mass just because I like that look better. Luckily this guy has both! The left horn is 40 7/8 and the right is 39 7/8. Bases are 16 4/8 and 16 3/8.

Don't get too discouraged, Mike. A young guy was camped at the same trail head as me that drew a tag after 3 years. It kinda pisses off the ones that have been trying for 40 years, but it does happen.

Did you use a guiding service and if you did which one ?

I hunted with Ron Eichelberger. He is the owner of Ponderosa Outfitters.

I started scouting in September, and after a couple of trips it became obvious that pack animals were almost a necessity. It's several miles to sheep country from most of the trailheads in some serious up-and-down! Sure helps a lot with a mule carrying everything in - and back out.

I can't say enough good things about Ron and his guide, Tom. I don't have a lot of experience with guided hunts, but I know hard work when I see it. These guys were prepared for everything, have good, strong animals and know the area like the back of their hand.

Unfortunately none of my usual hunting buddies could make the trip ( a wilderness hunt weeds'em out pretty quick!) but hunting with these guys was like being with good friends. They're die hard hunters and we had a blast right from the start.

Another guy that deserves a high-five is the Game and Fish guy in that area, Aaron Hartzell. I was after him from the day I found out I drew a tag and he never failed to return a phone call. I probably drove him nuts, but he never made it seem that way. We ran into him several times in the field and he was always willing to do whatever he could to help. He went way above and beyond. He went so far as to pack out a sheep for a guy that would have been SOL if it hadn't been for Aaron.

I hope you all get the opportunity to go on a sheep hunt sooner rather than later. It really is the hunt of a lifetime!