Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Anyone shooting the 6.5 PRC

Is anyone shooting this caliber ? Would like to hear about the results. I'm waiting on Seekins to build/ship mine. thanks, Jim

On 7/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, no worries said:

Is anyone shooting this caliber ? Would like to hear about the results. I'm waiting on Seekins to build/ship mine. thanks, Jim

I see this is an old post but I started shooting it. I haven't had it long and as of now I have less than 50 rounds through the barrel as I follow the manufacturer's break in instructions but can tell you I'm very happy with it so far. I am on the fence about whether or not to get into the reloading game but the way the ELD X is shooting out of this rifle so far I'm less inclined to do so. Maybe just to cut costs and get around availability if it doesn't improve in the next few months because the current availability of ammo is the only issue I'm running into right now.

As for results, again, with only 40 something rounds down the barrel I've seen the groups shrink from around 1" to approximately .62" (100 yards). I'm shooting a Christensen Arms Ridgeline with the radial muzzle brake and the recoil is no issue, feels like a 243 to me. I'm not an extreme long range shooter and went with the PRC mostly because after doing quite a bit of research I wanted a little extra energy from the round out to 500 yards (my limit for a shot on a mule deer). I also suspect a better shooter would be getting better than my .62' groups right now.

This is where someone will inevitably jump in and whine about the PRC and CM because meh 284 and 6.5 Swede blah blah blah - apparently it's important for everyone to know they don't like what someone else shoots - but whatever. You can do your own research and learn about the BC and performance of the different rounds. I hope a few more manufacturers begin to produce a PRC hunting round but even if not I'm so far very happy with the groups I'm getting with the ELD X and will carry that rifle on any deer hunt with absolutely no question about its performance on any shot I'm comfortable taking.

Hope this helps.

Well, 6.5x55 is the best round ever...just kidding...maybe... :)

What Hornady has done with the 6.5 CM and is working on with the 6.5 PRC is awesome. It highlights what was often an overlooked bullet size that never got it's due in the US til now. The success has improved bullet selection and availability quite a bit. 

Drive a high coefficient bullet at a good speed and good results will follow.

31 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Well, 6.5x55 is the best round ever...just kidding...maybe... :)

If I could afford to have a collection of whatever rifles I wanted I would get one. Growing up where the standard deer rifle was a 30-06, 7mm, 30/30 etc I didn't know much about them until I started hearing more about the Creedmoor and as a result the different 6.5 cartridges. Too bad I didn't know about them back when I was a kid or I might have grown up on a different rifle than my 243.

2 hours ago, broadhead said:

If I could afford to have a collection of whatever rifles I wanted I would get one. Growing up where the standard deer rifle was a 30-06, 7mm, 30/30 etc I didn't know much about them until I started hearing more about the Creedmoor and as a result the different 6.5 cartridges. Too bad I didn't know about them back when I was a kid or I might have grown up on a different rifle than my 243.

My dad collected old military rifles, and mausers were cheap so I was introduced to 6.5x55 early. He ended up with a sporterized 6.5x55 mauser done by Kimber. It was light and handy and was his favorite deer rifle. That is when I stumbled upon the 6.5 cal bullets pre-6.5CM. I learned how overlooked 264 win mag was, and I always wanted to build a 6.5-06. So far no 6.5-06 or 264 win mags in my safe, but a couple 6.5x55 have followed me home. 

6.5 seems to be a sweet spot IMO. it has heavy enough bullets to hunt anything in AZ, and has low recoil for most rounds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

My dad collected old military rifles, and mausers were cheap so I was introduced to 6.5x55 early. He ended up with a sporterized 6.5x55 mauser done by Kimber. It was light and handy and was his favorite deer rifle. That is when I stumbled upon the 6.5 cal bullets pre-6.5CM. I learned how overlooked 264 win mag was, and I always wanted to build a 6.5-06. So far no 6.5-06 or 264 win mags in my safe, but a couple 6.5x55 have followed me home. 

6.5 seems to be a sweet spot IMO. it has heavy enough bullets to hunt anything in AZ, and has low recoil for most rounds. 

That's really cool. I'll probably add one at some point to play around with and hand down to my son someday. And I agree, the 6.5, whatever variant you go with, seems to be an excellent round for deer out here. 

1 hour ago, ctracingraptor said:

but what about the 300 PRC, with those new A-tips?..

I didn't know much about the 300 PRC at all until I read an article yesterday. Seems like a pure precision extreme long range shooting cartridge geared toward competition shooting, especially with those A Tip bullets they're talking about. I'm no expert but as a hunting round I can't see why the 300 win mag wouldn't be the preferred option if that's what you wanted. 

Some people don’t want a belted magnum. But It’s designed off a solid case, article I read said near Weatherby mag performance. It sounds interesting. The win mag is a solid round, and has a strong foothold on the market, the prc could shake it up.