Sign in to follow this  
justanotherpunk

25-06 improved

Anybody here had any experience with this cartridge? Going to send a Rem. 700 in 25-06 to be rebarrelled and thought this might be a fun change while I was reworking it. Have had great success with the other ackely improved cartridges. .257, .243, 30-40 Kraig but I haven't been able to find anybody that has first hand knowledge of the 25-06.

Personally, I dont think the 'improving' is necessary on a awesome cartidge like the 25-06,you dont gain much in velocity or performance, but MUST reload, and add some steps in the reloading process. I dont see the need to shoot the brass, re-size the brass, load it again to test the loads etc etc. especially if you are just rebarreling it to go to a 25-06 AI.

my $.02

Casey,

You only have to reload if you want to get the benefit of the improved case. You can still shoot regular 25-06 cases through it as they have the same headspace. Accuracy with new brass isn't quite as good as with the fireformed cases, but that's just as true with conventional brass. While you do need to work up a load using the formed brass, you can get plenty of good shooting practice using the unformed cases. For ex. with my .20-221 AI, I've shot multiple 3/8" 5 shot groups using new brass. No single hole groups like with the fireformed brass but more than accurate enough to take off a p-dogs head at 250 yards.

As for performance, you'll see around 100 fps gained over the standard case. Feeding shouldn't be much of an issue with the long case and the high BC bullets.

Kevin Weaver has a big write up on the 25-06 AI on his website. www.weaverrifles.com. It should be located in the cartridges, load data section.

take care,

Schmitty

.270? What's that? Oh yeah it's that cartridge been around since the early '20's, BORING, plus I already got one of those. Casey, The barrel has severe throat erosion from years of service flinging 75 GN. Hornadys more than 3,600 fps. at countless coyotes, jacks, and p-dogs. Otherwise I wouldn't touch this killer. It's that one rifle in the collection that everyone has used to take animals. It's more like an old trusted companion that deserves a new lease on life.

Thanks for the link Schmitty. Already sent the action to be trued and an 26" rem. magnum contour barrel in 25-06AI installed. Guess I just want to be different.

yep, been around since the 20's and in a couple more "20's" it'll still be here. see, the 25/06 is just like the .270, only less. i seen a guy get hurt when he shot a deer with a 25/06 and it bounced off and hit him in the forehead. the .270 in the only way to improve the /'06. i mean a 25/06 is ok, if ya ain't got a .270. Lark.

Lark, what about that guy that you saw shoot his deer with a 7mm-08, he shot him a second time and when he got over there the second bullet him in the arse. same guy?

best way to improve a 25/06 is the turn it into a man's gun. a 270. Lark.

All a REAL man needs is a fine tuned 25-06....Bigger aint always better Lark....jeeze ;)

i've seen them 7mm/08's bounce offa deer and hit the guy that shot it. another guy i now shot at a deer with one and when he went to see if he hit, the bullet hit because it is so slow. i saw another guy shoot at one and the deer died o' old age before the bullet got there. i guess a 25/06 is a little better.............than a 22 mag. actually, they're ok. they just ain't a .270. Lark.