Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

FIRES

WILL THE FIRES HAVE ANY LONG TERM AFFECTS ON THE COUES DEER, I HAVE HUNTED MULE DEER IN BURN AREAS UP NORTH, BUT WITH THE COVER BEING DESTROYED WILL THE COUES BE MORE VULNERABLE TO PREDATORS, OR WILL THEY LEAVE THE AREAS COMPLETELY, I HOPE WE GET RAIN

I attended a Mule deer banquet in Flagstaff last year where Wildlife Manager, Bob Barsch (transplanted from the Safford area, I believe) gave a talk on fires and their effect on deer habitat. One point that really grabbed me: He said that as a result of a fire study they found that Whitetails frequented a burnt area seven times more than before the area was burnt. I also have a friend who, through experience, described young re-growth aspen (post fire) as "ice cream" for whitetails.

I am no expert, yet my opinion is that fires are almost always good for deer habitat. And to those people who say, "We won't have a beautiful forest here again in our lifetime!", I ask, "Are mature pine trees more beautiful than aspens, oaks and mahogany?" An ecologist told me recently that a burnt forest replaces its biomass in three years! It's just in a different form - deer food.

I don't know about long term effects but I glassed up alot of deer in both the Bullock and Oracle fire areas on the October hunt last year and we ended up killing a decent 80 or so inch buck in one of the burns on the last day. I saw a few deer that were larger than the deer we killed in the burn and saw more deer in the burn area's last year than the year before they burned (maybe because of increased visibility at long range, we tend to glass more than still hunt or jump shoot them). The buck we killed was stuffed full of new green shoots that were only growing in the burn areas. I think increased erosion and subsequent siltation from burns can seriously damage dirt tanks and water sources but other than that, I would think burns would be, for the most part, beneficial to the deer in the long run in terns of feed and predators.

Bret M.

Guest Guest

Yep, fires have a down side, like destroyed houses, erosion and damaged water sources.

We sure need some rain. Let's hope Tucson gets enough rain to put that monster fire out and begin the regenerating process, yet not so much rain that all of the nutrients and good dirt slide off of the mountain!

The fires will be beneficial to the deer herds. It may look bad seeing the burnt up trees, but the brush/undergrowth that has been cleared will allow the grass and forbs to grow for tons of food. I think overall this will be good for the animals..................good luck on the draws..............Allen...........

Before the Aspen fire started, I spent a lot of time up hiking around Mt Lemmon in the Bullock fire area doing some surveys for the USFS. The places where I saw the most WT deer and freshest sign was in the heaviest burn areas. So the WT are still using some very open hillsides. I think they are enjoying all the green-up. I haven't seen any monster bucks there this year, and only found 1 small shed, but these burns are generally good for deer. I found one dead WT, but it was old enough that it was hard to tell what killed it. Definately died after the Bullock fire, probably predator.

I believe the USFS will be doing some re-seeding to prevent extreme erosion during the monsoons. I don't know exactly which grasses they are seeding, but it will most likely come up quick and be good deer food while the brush and native plants are resprouting.

Fire is an absolutely awesome deer and elk food producer.

Amanda

I hunted in and around an old burn last year. I saw more deer in the burn than I seen in the areas that hadn't burned. Seen a couple of awsome bucks too. Wasn't fortunate enough to tie my tag on one though.

There is always this year though.

I would bet my next paycheck that (if we get some rain) the deer will be concentrated in the spring where the fires have cleared out for new growth.It is too bad people have to loose homes but it is natures way of taking care of itself.

Travis