heyden120

FIRST TIME HUNTER - UNIT 24A

Fortunately I was able to be drawn for this year's Antlered Mule Deer in a unit 24A out towards the Globe area of Arizona. I am a first time hunter, who will be going on the trip with one or two of my close friends who have some hunting experience. Although they have been on some hunts, they have been mainly out of state and have not taken much time to scout the area I will be hunting in. It is short notice I know, and if I had more time to go out and scout myself I definitely would have.

Unsure as to if it is an unspoken rule on a forum of this sort to ask for a good place to start my journey in this unknown territory. Any tips to potentially good areas/spots to start and any other deer wisdom which anyone could contribute would be much appreciated.

Really excited to get on my first hunt, likely going to head up there the week of Thanksgiving or the weekend after. Thanks all!

Good luck on your first hunt!  Also good to recognize the unspoken rule! lol   Some folks get a little worked-up when a newbie asks for advice on spots for their very first post! :lol:

Check this out, if you haven't already:  https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/24a/

Enjoy yourself and learn the area!  You might not get one this year, but as you spend more time in the unit you'll surely find yourself a honey hole or two!

S.

:)

• Like 2

Watch some videos on field dressing. Get yourself a tripod and a decent pair of 15s to glass with. Search this site for threads about "glassing". Make sure to read the regs on what's legal and not legal.  Make sure you know the difference mule deer, whitetail deer and elk. Not sure how much you know and don't know, maybe offer to tag along on some other members hunts here. You could learn a great deal just by going out with some experienced guys.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I've done pretty good east of 60 between the highway and the REZ fence.  Dont worry about the gear just go out and hunt, you will find what works for you.  I have taken very many animals and some trophys using only 150.00 dollar  10x42 binoculars (still using them).  Good luck and enjoy the experience. 

• Like 2