HBU

30-378 wby mag

I have a load shooting 200 gr bullets into .3" at 100 yards moving at 3200 fps.

It costs me $3.30 per round to reload compared to over $5 per round for store bought. Folks will tell you that is a crazy price to pay for ammo. Personally, when you look at the bigger picture, money spent on tags (not to mention how long you can go between getting drawn), time and $$$ on gas for scouting, taxidermy work etc.etc. etc. I don't see it as a huge deal.

Is the 3200fps at the muzzle? .3", that's exceptional. Why $3.30 if you're reusing brass? What bullets are you shooting?

3200 fps at the muzzle. Brass still costs over $50 per 20 pieces and if I get 4 shots per brass I figure I'm doing about average. I use 117 gr of H50 BMG. Bullets are SMK's. I have a software program where you enter the cost of powder, bullets, brass, primers, etc in their purchased quantities and then include number of shots per brass and weight in powder used and the program will tell you what each shot costs you.

The 30-378 is a awesome long range rifle.. Only negative I have heard about it is the price of ammo for store bought. As for as reloading I heard you the brass can not be reused to many times because of the necking ?

It has nothing to do with the necking. A lot of guys load thier Bees so hot that they blow out the primer pockets. As for the free bore, it is not designed to help accuracy, it is designed to help lower chamber pressures.

If you are thinking of this calibur, may I strongly suggest going with 200, 220, or even 240 gr bullets (such as the Sierra Match Kings). In order to take full advantage of the huge case copacity and burn all that powder you need to shoot as heavy a bullet as possible. If you plan to shoot 165 or even 180 gr bullets, I'd suggest getting a 300 RUM. Ammo is much cheaper and performace is very close to the 30-378 in those bullet weights.

However, if you are willing to shoot the bigger bullets with much better bullet BC, go with the 30-378. heavy bullets with high BC equal less bullet drop at extended ranges, less wind drift, and more energy down range.

As stated earlier, I'm shooting 200 gr bullets and I feel that this is the light side of bullet selection for this calibur.

Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on the 30-378. I know know I like the round but I would like to know more about the rifle. I own a wby in 30-06 and it has always been a good shooter but I have heard that these 30-378s can be tempermental. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

HBU

I have a custom 30-378 with a 28 inch barrel and can get 3500 fps with a 180 gr bullet. I have a custom 416 WBY and several factory weatherbys and they will all shoot moa, when you work to find the right load. The 30-378 is expensive to operate. I am a gun nut so it isn't a big deal to me. Since you asked I will tell you what I offer to others. Build you a 300 Ultra Mag on a Remington action with a 28 inch barrel. You will be into the rifle for a lot less, you can build it lighter, and the cost of brass is a huge savings. The 28 inch barrel is the key maximizing the velocity. Velocity you will give up is about 100fps compared to the 30-378. That is my 2 cents worth. If you are looking for a gun smith try Weaver rifles in Colorado. You can google him.