Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

anyone make summer sausage?

I've used a few different mixes from https://www.sausagemaker.com/ (Deer, Summer and Mild-Hot).  I always add a few things...First is 20% bacon ends/pieces from Wal-Mart (adds a really nice flavor and enough suet to hold together), different pepper blend or just black pepper, mustard seeds, cayenne pepper,  jalepeno seasoning or sometimes just seeds from what I have saved when making poppers--really whatever you like but always have started with a base from sausage maker.  Mix, stuff in casings, I let sit in casings for overnight in cooler, then smoke (whatever flavor you like) gradually bringing to temp (about a 10 hour cook for me), water bath to cool, then hang in garage overnight (or cooler in summer), then wrap and freeze.  It always comes out good and doesn't seem to matter if I use pig, elk or deer.  All tastes about the same after you add enough crap to it.    

• Like 2

Add Garlic cloves or Garlic seasoning as well.  Oh and if you have a few pounds left over, throw it in the jerky maker and dehydrate real quick.  That mix makes awesome jerky as well.  

• Like 1