Sign in to follow this  
257 STW

1916 Spanish 7x57 Mauser

I have a Spanish 7x57  Mauser bought several years ago from a buddy  it's in working condition the boar is nice and shiny bolt Cycles like it should I do not know much about these old Mausers took it to a gunsmith and he confirmed that it's a Spanish 7x57  Mauser the stock has initials LC stamped into it which I was told stands for La Corona the blue is in good shape $300 or trade

20190222_225349.jpg

20190225_105446.jpg

20190222_225532.jpg

20190222_225442.jpg

Trade

I bought one for $19.95 in the early 70s and completely sporterized it. I had a gunsmith cut and crown the barrel, work over the bolt handle and reblue the entire thing. I bought a Fajan already-shaped wood stock blank and did all the work on it myself. It turned out really well and shot great. The 7x57 is a nice round for deer and other game in that class, especially if one handloads. It killed my second buck and a couple more before I traded it 15 years later..

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, trophyseeker said:

I bought one for $19.95 in the early 70s and completely sporterized it. I had a gunsmith cut and crown the barrel, work over the bolt handle and reblue the entire thing. I bought a Fajan already-shaped wood stock blank and did all the work on it myself. It turned out really well and shot great. The 7x57 is a nice round for deer and other game in that class, especially if one handloads. It killed my second buck and a couple more before I traded it 15 years later..

Do you happen to recall the gunsmith?

forepaw

12 hours ago, forepaw said:

Do you happen to recall the gunsmith?

forepaw

You gotta be kidding, right? 😁 That was nearly 50 yrs. ago, and I can't recall what happened last week. What I do recall, though, is that he was somewhere on Camelback Rd. or Indian School Rd. in Phoenix close to 7th Ave. He was fairly old then, so I'm guessing he's passed by now. And now that I'm thinking about it, it seems his first name might have been Harold. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:06 AM, trophyseeker said:

You gotta be kidding, right? 😁 That was nearly 50 yrs. ago, and I can't recall what happened last week. What I do recall, though, is that he was somewhere on Camelback Rd. or Indian School Rd. in Phoenix close to 7th Ave. He was fairly old then, so I'm guessing he's passed by now. And now that I'm thinking about it, it seems his first name might have been Harold. 

Shooter's Haven?  I thought that was on Camelback or Glendale Ave.  The owner was a guy named Beavers, but he may have had another gunsmith working for him.  Just curious.  Some of the smiths from those years were real craftsmen.

forepaw

Sounds like Camelback Guns off of 7th Ave. I think the owners name was Yost, His daughter was in my sisters class year at Central High School.

16 hours ago, Mike S said:

Sounds like Camelback Guns off of 7th Ave. I think the owners name was Yost, His daughter was in my sisters class year at Central High School.

Camelback was owned by Tom Barrett in 1970s. The daughter's name was Betsy, right? Knew him well and did lots of business there before he closed up. His no. 1 helper was a guy named Dave. He had a spotting scope set up to peer into the windows in the hotel across the street. LOL

There was also another big shop that opened a bit farther to east, but I can't recall the name. I do remember purchasing some clay birds there, though. It might have been Shooter's Haven, which Forepaw mentioned. 

17 hours ago, forepaw said:

Shooter's Haven?  I thought that was on Camelback or Glendale Ave.  The owner was a guy named Beavers, but he may have had another gunsmith working for him.  Just curious.  Some of the smiths from those years were real craftsmen.

forepaw

No. This guy had a small storefront and did nothing but gunsmithing work. No retail products for sale.