Sign in to follow this  
Wagges

Unit 23 Late Hunt

My 16 year old son drew this tag. I put him for this hunt, but did not realize how hard it is to draw, around 5%. We are looking for anyone that has been in the unit the last couple years in late November or December,  maybe someone who was on a deer hunt or a elk hunt that has seen some nice bulls.   He can shoot up to 700 yards and is in great shape.  My ability at 52 is not as good as it once was.  I spent most of my youth hunting coues deer and late archery elk.  I am very familiar with this unit, but I have not been in the unit in 10 years.  I know the success rate is high and probably the ONLY unit left that AZGFD manages the right way.  As there are very few tags, we really want to shoot a quality elk.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the unit if you are very familiar with it already.  It is pretty much spending the time behind the glass looking over bulls until you find one you are happy with.  Like most of the other units the quality isn't quite what it used to be but should be getting better with the number of tags.  You will find bulls pretty much from the top of the unit all the way down close to the river including some real close to Young.  I have shot two bulls out of 23 over the years and one was about 10 miles north of Young and the other the same south of Young.  Plus I have helped on hunts that have shot them east and west of Young.  So if you are going to be all over the place I would camp close to or stay in Young.  What is your definition of a quality bull?  I just happen to have the same tag so sorry for not being a bit general. :)

My son wants a 350 bull, but reality is we are looking for a 320 to 350. I have taken two bulls over 380 with a bow and believe that I can judge them well. We just don't know what to expect, not being around the unit for several years. I used to know the family that owned the Elenwood Ranch, and I spent a lot time there early 2000. Back then there were to many people that hunted that area. I know they kill big bulls in Sept. around Canyon creek, and Neaglin rim and  but I thought most of them traveled back to the reservation before the end of Nov. I also hope the hunters spread out with only 125 tags. Is there a area to stay away from because of hunter density?  Thanks for the help  and input, we both appreciate it.

The low tag numbers is the best thing about the hunt.  The hunters should be pretty spread out.  This year I plan on spending a lot of time in the unit during the rut to see what there is going to be as far as the caliber of bulls.  But knowing that they will not be in the same locations come the late hunt.