Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

6.5-300

Who is running one and in what rifle??  Are you running wby factory ammo or handloading?

I set up my brothers accumark with factory 130 sciroccos. 3/4 moa @ 3500 fps. Was surprised how much more recoil it had vs my 270 WSM running a 130 scirocco @ 3475 fps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dse said:

I set up my brothers accumark with factory 130 sciroccos. 3/4 moa @ 3500 fps. Was surprised how much more recoil it had vs my 270 WSM running a 130 scirocco @ 3475 fps.

Holding constant for weight of the rifle? Did you feel the stock design had anything to do with it? And was either cartridge easier overall to develop a load for?

Haven't had the time to load for it yet. The 270 WSM was stupid easy. Pushed to to Max with RL-22 backed down 1/2 a grain and it shot 1/2 moa. Both rifles are pretty close in weight, with the 270 being slightly lighter at 9 lbs 12 oz.

• Like 1

I have a brand new Weatherby wilderness Vanguard that I picked up for my kids. After realizing I have three 6.5 caliber rifles already and I'm thinking it might be a little bit too much recoil for them  I  decided  I was was going to sell it nobody bit on it so now I'm getting ready to build a load for it I'm going to start with the 160 Matrix vld

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 257 STW said:

I have a brand new Weatherby wilderness Vanguard that I picked up for my kids. After realizing I have three 6.5 caliber rifles already and I'm thinking it might be a little bit too much recoil for them  I  decided  I was was going to sell it nobody bit on it so now I'm getting ready to build a load for it I'm going to start with the 160 Matrix vld

Do you anticipate any issues with magazine length and seating depth for the 160s?  How any 1-8 and stability with the 160s?

Isn't the barrel life really really short with these? I've read as few as 600 rounds. I'd burn a barrel up in no time. 40-50 rounds for barrel break in, and 50+ finding the best load. Ouch. 

• Like 1

Even getting the barrel broken in and a load developed after that I would probably expend 10-15 rounds through that rifle on an annual basis. Doubt I would come close to burning it up.

I do my off season practice with a .223 and .308!

• Like 1