Sign in to follow this  
akuritone

New To Me

Went and shot my 257 Weatherby Vanguard this weekend that I bought from a guy on this site. I mounted a Leupold VX-L 4.5 x 14 x 50mm with the B & C reticle on top of it and boy does this thing shoot.

Worked up two loads before we left for the range.

110 grain Accubonds IMR7828

100 grain Tripple Shock Reloader 25

Boresighted and let one Accubond go at 25 yards. Made a windage adjustment and took it out to 200 yards which is where I set my zero on this scope. My next three shots were all over the place. 3150 fps average. Then my brother reminded me that neither of us had good luck with the Accubonds in our 300 Ultra Mags. So I put them away and pulled out the Barnes Tripple Shock. I have had great results with this bullet in both my 7-08 and 300 Ultra. The first three shots from this combo all landed within 1 1/2 from eachother. 3525 fps average. Made som ajustments to bring it to zero and called it good. Then we started picking rocks at further distances and using the B&C reticle I was able to clobber them.

I was really happy with the results and am always amazed to see how particular some rifles are with bullet types.

On a side note I purchased a Rifle Basix aftermarket trigger for this rifle because the factory trigger is terrible. I installed the trigger (one screw) and it felt great. I then put the rifle on "safe" and was able to pull the trigger. I admit, I had to pull it harder than I normally would, but I wanted to make sire the "safety"was working. I figured there was an adjustment to solve this so I called Rifle Basix. The guy gives me the " a safety is a mechanical devise that can fail and the only safe gun is an unloaded gun or one with the bolt up". Yeah, yeah, yeah, but why does your trigger/safety allow you to pull the trigger while in "safe"? He said "it takes 10 lbs of pull to pull the trigger through the safety and you just shouldnt have to pull that hard to realize you are not in the "safe" position". WOW!

I sent the trigger back!!!

Jeff

He said "it takes 10 lbs of pull to pull the trigger through the safety and you just shouldnt have to pull that hard to realize you are not in the "safe" position". WOW!

I sent the trigger back!!!

Jeff

:blink: :blink: :blink: WOW!!! I'd send it back, too!!!!!

Congrats on the new gun!

CnS

I would for sure send that trigger back also! try a timney!

And how did you only get 3150 from the 110 accubond? Was it a VERY light load? I get the same speed from my 270 wsm with a 140 accubond. dont give up on those accubonds, they are great bullets, and toat a much higher BC than the TSX.

I have not tried the barnes in my 257 wby, but have had great success with the Nosler Ballistics, great damage. Congrats on a great gun.

Mike

Has any one else had the same safety issue with the Basix trigger? I just ordered one for my Savage 110 300 mag, and that makes me nervous as anything!!!

It may have been a light load. My Hornady manual only had 117 grain so I just loaded that max powder charge for IMR 7828 and the 110 grain Accubond.

Cant argue with the B.C. difference but I dont think I want to work up a load for the Accubond when the TSX shoots so well.

I did some research on the Rifle Basix trigger after I got off the phone with that guy and there were some other "internet" complaints conserning the same problem. The one that comes to mind was a Marlin in 17 HMR. It was also interesting to find out that this guy Bob at Riffle Basix definitely has a reputation for tooting "you should never trust a safety. The only safe firearm is an unlaoded one or one with the bolt up(rifle of course)" Not saying he is wrong but that shouldnt be an excuse for a poorly designed trigger.

Midway just sent me my shipping confirmation......my Timney is on the way.

Jeff

Yeeah it prolly was a light load... the guns that I have that like to "run fast" when working up a load, they didnt seem to shoot well at a low to mid loads (22-250, 270 wsm, 7 RUM) but when I got into the upper level of the loads, they seemed to tighten up nicely.

Yesterday I was busting elk size kill zone rocks at 720 yards with my 270wsm. was shooting at rocks the size of a deers head (which we all know I am good at hitting that!) at 510 and it seemed "easy"

Just an update for anyone interested. I received my Timney Trigger from Midway USA yesterday and installed it into the Vanguard. Intallation was simple. I did have to Dremmel a little of the composite stock to get the full operation of the safety(I knew I would have to do this from internet reviews). Took all of five minutes.

Results

The safety has now been upgraded to a three position safety vs the stock and Rifle Basix two position.

They claim the Timney comes preset at 3 pounds but it felt way heavier than that.

Adjustments were simple and I now have a VERY nice crisp trigger.

By the way when the safety is in the "Safe" position I am UNABLE to fire the rifle no matter how hard I pull the trigger. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff