Sign in to follow this  
Browning'sCustomMeat

VERDE RIVER?

Looking for info and opinions......

March 15th is the date planned. Me and two of my sons and a friend and his two boys are wanting to take a trip from Camp Verde to Childs. Wondering if any of you out there have done this and what are we in for??? :unsure:

Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-J-

Pretty steep once you get closer to childs but it's a maintained road, some places get pretty slick when it's raining hard but I doubt it'll rain over that period of time. It'll be quite warm too

I have done it several times. Have done it in inflatable kayaks, hardshell kayaks, and whitewater canoe. Some do it in Coleman canoes with flotation bags or innertubes tied in, but would not be my choice through the rapids. Beasley to Childs is an all day trip. Do the shuttle ahead of time or hire someone to shuttle your vehicle from your put-in at Beasley Flat. I am thinking of doing a stretch this weekend, maybe Beasley to Gap Creek.

Here is a river guide. there are a couple of books available also:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreatio...river-guide.pdf

You can get water flows here. 200 cfs is min, but may take more than a day at that level. It is 1400 cfs now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site..._cd=00065,00060

Doug~RR

I have done it several times. Have done it in inflatable kayaks, hardshell kayaks, and whitewater canoe. Some do it in Coleman canoes with flotation bags or innertubes tied in, but would not be my choice through the rapids. Beasley to Childs is an all day trip. Do the shuttle ahead of time or hire someone to shuttle your vehicle from your put-in at Beasley Flat. I am thinking of doing a stretch this weekend, maybe Beasley to Gap Creek.

Here is a river guide. there are a couple of books available also:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreatio...river-guide.pdf

You can get water flows here. 200 cfs is min, but may take more than a day at that level. It is 1400 cfs now.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site..._cd=00065,00060

Doug~RR

WOW!!! Thanks, that was very helpful. I was able to find the water flows pretty easily. The guide you sent was way cool, I feel a little more at ease knowing what I'm in for. I'll post pictures and a story when its all over with.

Again, thanks for the help and info! ;)

Here's some pics of my first trip down the Verde about 20 years ago. The top two are in pre-falls and the lower is a friend going through the falls. I think flow was about 4k, so the falls was kinda flushed out and did not show the drop when seen in lower water. The GF said she went completely under, but I did not believe her until I saw the top pic.

RR

Verderiver.jpg

Looks like we are going from Beasley to Childs. How is the water in that stretch? I'm thinking the water will stay around the same it is now unless we get a storm. We're taking canoes, I know your choice would not be them, but thats what we have.

Hows the fishing through there?

Beasley to Childs is considered the whitewater stretch. Make sure you have flotation bags in your canoes, and some buckets/gallon jugs for bailing. Count on flipping. There are usually calm stretches below the rapids for recovery.

The water will be cold and off color, so suspect the fishing would be worthless.

Have you or any in your group done much whitewater canoeing before? What kind of canoes?

:wacko: Jeremy you are a Krazy SOB!! Canoes????? :blink: :blink: :unsure: Make sure to portage the falls.... We did that float one time with my Bro-in-law, who is a very experienced river rafter and it was a fun, but cold day trip. I was plumb froze by the time we got to the Hot Springs.... I wanted in that warm water so bad that I didn't even give a rip about all the nasty naked Hippies everywhere! :blink: :wacko: :ph34r: Things that make you Baaaahhhh! :blink: Anyhow, we shot the falls in my Bro-in-law's raft and it was the funnest part of the day! Some of our group did not try it, they got out and walked/ lead thier raft, and I thought one raft flipped that day, but I'm not sure if it was from our group or some other group... it was several years ago. If you guys have never done that sort of thing on that river you may want to guinea pig yourselves and not take your kids the first time.... :unsure: I'd be spooked to run a canoe on that stetch anyhow..... but that is just me.... :rolleyes:

G

Yep canoes!! But now I'm having second thoughts about going. I have talked to many people and been reading alot on the river and am very shaky. I'm with you Gino, We need to guinea pig ourselves. Possibly looking at a shorter run, maybe on the Tonto.

A nice run on the Verde in canoes might be starting at the White or Black Bridge and going to Beasley Flat There is a small dam to portage above White Bridge.

The Salt River below Saguaro Lake?

A nice run on the Verde in canoes might be starting at the White or Black Bridge and going to Beasley Flat There is a small dam to portage above White Bridge.

The Salt River below Saguaro Lake?

How long is the run?

At current flow, maybe 3 hrs from White Bridge to Beasly. You could start above the I-17 bridge and go down to make it longer, or do the run twice.

If you have 3-5 days, Childs to Sheep Bridge or Horseshoe lake is a nice canoe ride.

Jeremy,

Did you get to run a stretch of the Verde? Any pics?

Doug~RR

Well Doug, unfortunately I was unable to make it. With all the talk that was going back and forth, Donnie, myself and the kids decided not to go. We really didn't have the right equipment to go. And listening to the advise out there, we figured that we would wait and "guinea pig" ourselves first. We are still thinking about the run from Childs to Horseshoe, but we would make that run by ourselves, or even the one from farther north to Beasley Flats. So, to answer your question, no, I didn't get to run any of the Verde and have no pictures. Thanks to everyone for the info and hopefully maybe, I can get out there one day. Doug, thanks for the link to the river guide, my kids enjoyed it and are excited to get out there too!

-Jeremy-